Default Canon SX40 V Sony HX20V

I've joined the forum in hope of some expert advice. I have a baby on the way next month and a faulty digital camera. Money's obviously a bit tight, putting the DSLR camera's out of my price range. I've done lots of reading around and want your opinions on the following two cameras which are in my budget of 300. Things my partner and I wanted:

+ Not to swap lenses, to be an all in one unit
    + HD video
    + As good a picture as is possible (so as good a lens and sensor as possible)

Anything else is by the by.

This led us to two cameras the 'Bridge' Cannon SX40 or the 'compact' Sony HX20V. Both are comparable in price. Now my query:

1) When I visited Jessops to look at them 'in person' the sales assistant was very dismissive of the Canon (and Bridges in general) explaining the pictures were no better than those of the compact Sony. Can this be true? I can guess the pixel rates are similar but surley the sensor must be much smaller. Any advice or views would be really welcome.

2) If the pictures quality is slightly worse would I notice in pictures or videos of the baby, or would it be the enthusiast who would notice?

In general I think we are happy to trade size for quality as it is not that big (especially compared to all the other baby stuff we will have to lug around), and the pictures will be around for ever, compared to the slight inconvenience of a larger camera

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide input or the benefit of their experience.

Images

hi and welcome can you give us a budget to work with. both your choices have ok reviews and both have long zooms. the question i would ask is do you need this length of zoom as this is always a compromise. you maybe better having a shorter zoom and better image quality at the long and wide ends.

Thanks for responding. My budget is 300.

I have no strong views on zoom. I chose the cameras because they seemed to take the best photos for the money I had available. I am not going to buy a DLSR and want an all in one package. If you can suggest a superior alternative where I can trade zoom for quality I would gladly hear it.

Cheers

Adrian

Images

I would look at a canon g12 it has Raw capability has a lot o manual control and fully auto too. not as much zoom but does take excellent shoots

I've had a read around and it looks an excellent choice, and I'm happy to trade away the zoom, but it is above my upper limit sadly being around the 350 mark. I know it's only 50 but I've already crept up quite a lot.

The reviews indicate poor video as well which is a concern, I'd honestly rather lose Raw and have better video.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond however, has it has given me another choice, and additional food for thought. Any other ideas Wave and others?

Images

yes. I would look at a canon g12 it has Raw capability has a lot o manual control and fully auto too. not as much zoom but does take excellent shoots

The Jessops chap was right in that bridge cameras have the same picture quality as compacts. They have much the same sensors, just much bigger zooms. As you say, you don't really need a big zoom, but what would make a big difference to the image quality is a physically larger sensor, which will also enable you to better natural light shots in low light, and shallow depth of field shots. The thing is, most of these cameras have interchangeable lenses, but because they have that option it doesn't mean you ever have to take the lens off.

Probably the best value deal on the market right now is the Olympus EPL-1, which was originally about 500 and is now 175 at Argos (though not easy to find on there. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search...referrer=COJUN The sensor is many times bigger than a compact and it has a lot of manual controls as well as full auto ones, in case you get into it later on. There's also some fun built in filter effects like you get with apps like Instagram. It comes with a 3x zoom, which is fine for now, but if you decide one day that you want a longer zoom you can replace the lens thats on there with one that covers a wider range, without having to change the camera.
    The EPL-1 will trounce the image quality of a compact yet it's still fairly small and portable - not much bigger than some compacts.

If you really just want a fixed lens compact here are two top quality models that have recently been replaced and so are heaviliy discounted right now. Both have slightly larger sensors (for a compact) and wide max aperture lenses for low light, and excellent image quality. The Canon in particular is a serious bargain.
    Canon Powershot S95: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerS...6628121&sr=8-1
    Panasonic LX5: http://www.parkcameras.com/16346/Pan...FYcPfAod30IADg

All of these do HD video at 720p, though not 1080p.

Having said all that, the two cameras you first suggested are fine examples of their type, and will give you pretty good shots in most conditions if used carefully, and if you're just showing them online, on websites like facebook, you may struggle to see any difference.