Hybrid View

Default Pls help with technical specs? Don't understand Optical Zoom quoted

Hi
    I'm looking at buying a new super zoom camera (currently use Panasonic Lumix FZ38) and have been thinking of buying the Sony Cyber-Shot HX200V which seems well reviewed and states it has 30 x Optical zoom.
    However I've just read a review of the Sony Cyber-Shot RX100 which looks a great camera and really compact. However this says it just has a 3.6 Optical Zoom. Can that be right? Is it really so much worse than the HX200V in terms of zoom or are they measuring it in different ways? Even though it only says it is 3.6 optical zoom it says it has a 28-100mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss zoom lens which soudns quite impressive.

Can anyone help??

Images

28-100 refers to the 35mm eqiv.

....so does that mean it's better or worse? Thats what I don't understand

Images

the spec you quoted was 28-100 so if you divide 100 by 28 you get 3.6. so your lens goes from 28 to 3.6 times to 100. so look at the sony that gives you 27 -810 as a zoom.

It's all down to sensor size!

The smaller the sensor the smaller the lens. So they can use more zoom on a small compact.

As the sensor gets bigger, the lens gets bigger, so making the camera bigger, resulting in less zoom to keep the size down!

So, the larger the sensor, the better the image quality!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 11-08-12 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks a lot for all infos!!I can make my decission now.