Threaded View

Default unexpected Canon failures

My wife had a Canon A95 which she loved. It failed, by producing lines across images, at an important moment during my 70th birthday sailing cruise in June 2009. Our second daughter bought an A 95 on our recommendation it failed in a similar way. My wife replaced her A95 with an SX200IS, which failed three days ago with a 'lens error restart camera' message that proved impossible to obey. My youngest daughter'sSX200IS failed last year with a lens retraction problem after less than two years use.

My own Canon Powershot S31S has worked well for the past five years, though my brother-in-law's failed with a lense retraction problem after about four years use.

Are we an especially unlucky family? Or are these wonderful cameras too clever to last?
    Canon have always scored high on What Digital Camera's comparison lists and it was precisely because of those recommendations that we purchased the various cameras we have bought in the past few years.

You could say that the common factor is the family. However, we live in different places and have different personalities. I would consider myself to be the clumsiest and most careless, though my camera continues to function normally.

It is disappointing. My old Canon SLR film camera will no doubt continue to work perfectly, but film is so much more difficult nowadays.

Do other people have similar experiences? Should we expect our kit to fail after two or three years? It's not that cheap.

Will Taylor
    Last edited by WBTaylor; 29-07-12 at 10:43 AM.