Hybrid View

Question Essential kit confusion

I've just ordered my first DSLR and thanks to everyone on this site, I was able to make some good, informed choices about the camera and lenses that I needed to build a hobby in wildlife photography. Unfortunately, I'm now suffering newbie confusion about the gadgets/extras I'll need.

A monopod was recommended and a good rucksack seems like a no-brainer but when it comes to things like filters, monopod/tripod heads, battery grips and remote controls, ignorance and panic start to kick in. To start with, I've gone for a swivelling monopod head, UV filters for the telephoto and macro lenses and some extra memory but I'd love to know what other kit is essential or useful - and anything that really isn't.

There's a whole world of accessories out there for wildlife photography. To your own list you could add rain covers, bean bag, camouflage, remote releases, motion sensors... and then a whole world of macro accessories, if that's part of your repertoire.
    I suggest you start with our accessory reviews section and make a shortlist. Scroll down on http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment.html for the various categories.

Images

hi my advice is to get your camera take lots of pictures you will soon get another list of what you need. good luck

Thanks guys. After my first couple of hours shooting blurs, a bean bag and/or low-level tripod and a remote release are definitely on the list (as is the dummies guide for the Nikon D7000). I guess something to keep the dust out of the inside of the camera is probably also a practical must and the same will apply for some rain protection.