Default lens help required

Hi All
    AM just about to order a Nikon D5100 - figured this was a good first DSLR to have. (after much reading)

I am however well and truly confused with lenses. I recently used my brothers Sony DSLR which had a Tamron 28-200 lens fitted which was designed for a full frame camera.
    I want to order an APSC lens equivelant of the same field of view to this - what would that be?

Please keep the answer simple - i have read up so much on this and just can't make head nor tail of it.

For sure this will be the first of many Q's.

Thanks in advance
    Oat

Images

hi and welcome first let say when buying a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system fits your needs, get a short list and go try them out see how they feel how they operate. if it feels right then you are long way to it being right. dont settle for i will get used it.

the d5100 comes with a kit lens so what do you shoot as this will determine what lenses you will need.

3. Default

Hi Oat,

You don't mention what camera your brother was using: if it was an APS-C body you'd be after the same lens, as the APS-C sensors inside Sony and Nikon DSLRs are similar in size. If it was full-frame, however, the equivalent focal range on an APS-C body would be around 18-135mm. Canon, Sony and Pentax all offer an 18-135mm lens, although Nikon doesn't have a current equivalent model (there is an older Nikon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX lens which can still be found, though). You can, however, find the Tokina 16.5-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AT-X DX AF for around 570 in a Nikon fit for a D5100. Of course, there are many other lenses available which offer similar (but not the same) focal ranges, which may be more in line with your budget.

Matt