Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Keen beginner SLR - help required please

Hello, I am keen on purchasing an SLR suitable for a beginner, yet which is capable for when I become more proficient & that will stand me well over the next few years.

The models I have shortlisted, thus far, are:

Canon 600D
    Nikon D3200
    Sony Alpha 65

Of these I initially felt the Canon 600D best served my needs, until that is the Nikon D3200 launched & I guessed this may be a better bet. Since then I have also looked at the Sony Alpha 65. My concern about the Sony is performance in low light conditions, sky at night etc? I did however feel the options of 10fps for wildlife/sports was an advantage, as were it's panoramic capabilities.

Please note that I am willing to save that bit harder & spend that little bit more should the model I choose prove to be a better investment for long term use. I also appreciate I may have overlooked an alternative model...eek, that will add to the confusion! As I said I am a beginner to SLR, & whilst always interested in photography have no lenses or SLR kit, which may sway me to one model over another.

It would particularly interest me to hear the views of the WDC team, as much of my knowledge comes from their publication. I'd also of course welcome any feedback/experience of forum members. I'm hoping to come to a conclusion quite soon due to travel & wish to thank any response given, all help is very very welcome.

Many thanks

Images

hi any of these will suit your purpose.
    when buying a DSLR you but into a system so make sure that system fits your needs, get a short list and go and try them, if it feels right then you are along way to its being right dont settle for i will get used to it. good luck

Thanks, Wave, appreciate your thoughts.I had a quick handle of each earlier...decisions decisions!

Images

the only thing i can add is that canon and nikon have the largest selection of lenses including third party ones but that said there are enough for the other manufactures. another thing ti think of is do you want a body with stabilisation or do you want it in the lens.

Default Keen beginner SLR - help required please

Hi Alan,

You've picked out a good selection of D-SLR's here and like you say it's a tricky decision of which to go for. If speed is your main concern then we'd agree that the Alpha 65 is a good option and having the option to rattle out a burst at such a fast frame rate should mean you'll never miss a shot.

Both the 600D and D3200 are excellent options too. Ok they don't offer the same burst rate as the Alpha 65, but they excel in this area of the market. Canon has also recently released the 650D, but we're unsure of whether 799 with the 18-55mm kit lens exceeds your budget? You'll be able to read a full review of this in the next issue of What Digital Camera magazine.

Did you say you've handled both the 600D and D3200? What were your initial impressions?

Regards,

Michael Topham

Hi Wave, Thanks again for replying...I'm actually turning my head with the lens information so your comments were very apt. Totally agree on the Sony lens range - I had not however considered the lens versus body stabilisation, until you mentioned it. Can you recommend on this from experience?

Hi Michael. thanks for your reply. I have handled the camera's but only in - store, & being new to the SLR world it really is quite daunting. The Sony Alpha 65 was impressive & on first look quite simple in terms of layout & use. The panoramic in camera photo stich was very appealing, as were the many preset modes...however it is also a very capable preformer for when I get more advanced. Next to that I felt perhaps the Nikon D3200 was very comfortable for use. Do you have an idea of how useful the in camera guide is? For example, there is a pre-set on the Sony for Sunsets, & a guide mode option on the Nikon, how do these compare? I ask as I want to get some good photos on initial use before I get the time to become more absorbed.

I had heard the 650D was out too Michael, but don't now much about it. Since your reply I had a quick look & it certainly sounds like it may have improved upon the Canon 600D, so maybe some more thinking to do. I'm not keen to spend unnecessarily yet see the actual retail price has dropped a bit since. I guess it may come down to the lens I require beyond the kit lens. I like the idea of an all-in-one for when travelling around, but then that brings further questions ha ha!

Of course I will read the review, but need to act quickly. Again many thanks for your comments.

Images

hi its down to personnel choice I am canon shooter i just like the way they do things and my 550d ticked all the boxes and just felt right. you asked about the 650d its the last to come out so you now have 550d fixed lcd 600d swivel screen 650d touch screen.

I recommend you think a bit more about the type of photography you'll be doing.
    The D3200 is the highest resolution, which makes it a good choice for landscapes. It also has the Guide mode, which is good for explaining what all the functions do (though the Sony has something similar). I do worry that this is the one you'd be most likely to outgrow though as you get more experienced.
    The Canons are good, solid all-rounders, whether you go for the fixed screen (550D), tilt screen (600D) or touch screen (650D). Canon has the biggest lens range too. Just.
    If you're primarily into sports and action the Sony A65 is undoubtedly the best choice. And probably for video too, since you can use the viewfinder while filming. It has a great twilight mode for low light shooting, and as you said the Sweep Panorama mode is great if you like panoramic photos. But the lens range isn't as good as Canon's or Nikon's.

Thanks again Wave, I think the 600D may still be the best option on Canon.

Thanks for your comments Nigel, I guess I want those options but also am keen on landscapes/sunsets etc which is probably why I'm giving it so much thought as, with the investment level, I would lie as much an all rounder as possible. I've taken on your comments about maybe outgrowing the Nikon D3200...and for this reason am leaning toward the Sony Alpha 65....you made good points on the lens range here too, however it will take me some time to save for any other lense additions if I buy an all in one for now, so I would imagine Sony, with Minolta's knowhow, will launch more in this time. I would if I were them as it's an obvious drawback of Sony currently.

One further question is: if the Sony Alpha 65 boasts in body stabilisation, can it be used in conjunction with stabilised lenses? Or is there no additional benefit to be had?

Many thanks again everyone who has helped, all very useful comments!