Images

Default Trading up - help appreciated

HI
    This is my first post and looking for some advice!
    I got into photography about 12 months ago with an Olympus PEN EPL-1, it has done me well but i feel i am stating to out grow it and it is fiddly to use in manual modes, plus additional lenses and accessories are very expensive and limited.
    So i have looking around and doing a bit of research decided i want to trade up to a DSLR. Having looked about i think my best option is a Nikon D3100. i like the feel of the Nikon cameras over a Cannon.
    I have also found a kit which includes the Nikon 35mm f1.8 which i like the look off, mainly for holidays and travelling.
    I would appreciate some advice as to whether this is the right way to go and are there any serious reasons why i shouldn't go for this kit? I take mostly landscapes whilst out walking and street shots whilst travelling.
    Thanks for your help in advance
    Jon

Images

hi and welcome the d3100 is a fine camera but it is nikons entry level so you may find yourself in the same position in another 12 months. so as you like nikon maybe look at the d5100 as a better buy

Images

Thanks Wave
    I was hoping that wouldn't come up, purely because of the additional cost!!
    i do want something which will last me and don't want to be looking again in 12 months. I am swayed more towards the D5100 now just with the kit lens and buy a prime at a later date.
    Is the 35mm f1.8 a good buy on its own? since i am not buying a prime in a kit i can look at other options if they are better.
    Thanks again
    Jon

The D5100 isn't that different in operation to a D3100, its still a fairly menu driven interface. An even better choice from what you're describing you want would be a D90. You can now get the body for about 499, or a good condition used one for about 400. Not sure if that's achievable within your budget?
    A 50mm f/1.8 would be a great idea. But one of the good things about lenses is that there's not much that can go wrong with them so they're a good secondhand buy. So if you overspend on the body you may be able to recover a bit with a used lens.
    Just a thought.

Images

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I have picked up a new toy this week and decided to go with the D5100!

I am currently trying to learn how to use it and where everything is, its already so much better than my little Olympus PEN (i know that is stating the obvious!).

I am hoping to get out this weekend and take some real pictures rather than just stuff round the house!

Thanks for the help

Jon