Default Where have all the viewfinders gone

why do the Manutactures not produce compact digital cameras with viewfinder

HI

Some still do. You just have to know where to look. However, they are not very accurate (about 85%) whereas the LCD usually gives a 100% view. It's also so that they can make 'em much smaller

in bright sun the view finder is essential

Quote Originally Posted by ColinT View Post
    in bright sun the view finder is essential
    I'm fine with my Panasonic TZ7 & TZ10 which have 460,000 pixels.

I think most manufacturers are now upping the resolution for LCDs, so things should improve

It's an interesting comment, but many manufacturers decide against fitting compacts with viewfinders to keep their products as small as possible. Some manufacturers will give you the option - Nikon's 1 system being the perfect example. While the J1 doesn't feature and EVF, the V1 does. Interestingly, Canon's latest release - the EOS M doesn't feature a viewfinder and when we put the question of why not to Canon they responded with the reply that they are trying to keep the product as small and accessible as possible. To watch the interview we had with Canon earlier this week, http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/new...n-preview.html and then scroll down the page.

Default Viewfinders

I have been an advocate of viewfinders for years, but on my Nikon S9100 there is a 921,000 dots screen, and so far I have had no problems with seeing the screen in bright conditions.

However, I still feel that the OVF on my EOS350D is better than the EVF on my Panasonic FZ48.