Hybrid View

Images

Default Macro Photography..

Hi Everyone, advice on macro photography please, can someone please take a look at my housefly image in the gallery, I took it with my Panasonic TZ30, I would like to know if I bought a 100mm IS for my 600D how much clearer would my image be? any advice would be greatly appreciated, many thanks..Caroline

Mod note: have put it in your post.

Last edited by Chris Cool; 17-07-12 at 10:41 AM.

WOW!!!! Simply stunning!!!

I don't think you need to bother with the the 100 IS if you can do this with the TZ30!

Would like to know if this was just a grab shot and what post processing you did

Thanks!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cool View Post
    WOW!!!! Simply stunning!!!

I don't think you need to bother with the the 100 IS if you can do this with the TZ30!

Would like to know if this was just a grab shot and what post processing you did

Thanks!

Hi Chris, many thanks for your positive comments and putting my image to my post! In answer to your question, the only processing I did was to crop the image on the right hand side so I am pleased to say the image is original! The TZ30 is a "little gem" and is great fun to use! It's a delight to read your encouraging comments Chris! many thanks!..Caroline

Images

Hi daft_biker, many thanks for your time and advice about macro photography, your images are amazing especially the MP-E and ringflash images! Not knowing anything about MP_E I will do some research about it! I find macro photography great fun! once again many thanks!..Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    I would like to know if I bought a 100mm IS for my 600D how much clearer would my image be?
    It's likely that less of subject would be in focus but the parts that are in focus would be much clearer.

I just stuck my 100mm (non-IS) macro on my 40D and nipped out the back to photograph the first decent sized fly I saw. This was with the lens set to it's minimum focus distance on a camera with the same size sensor as your 600D so it's about as close to frame filling as you are likely to get without cropping if you do go for a 100mm IS.

Your 600D should resolve more detail than is shown in the below crop as it's 18MP instead of the 10MP my 40D has. (would have used my 7D but it's in Crete at the moment)

Hopefully the 600D will be a bit less noisy at ISO 400 too......normally I'd use a ringflash and ISO 100 but a good ringflash could cost about as much as a macro lens.

For photographing things as small as flies I'd normally use a MP-E 65mm instead of a 100mm though. Not sure I'd recommend the 65mm as first macro lens but it's possibly something to look into once you've got the hang of a 100mm.

I shot the below with a MP-E and a ringflash:

...and that's not cropped!

This is a crop from it.....

Hope that helps. :-)