Images

Default Returning to DSLR

I sold all of my DSLR kit and lenses a few years ago when it became clear that the Canon S90 that I had as a small back-up/carry everywhere camra was the only one that I was using. On a recent holiday to the Far East, however, it soon became apparent that I needed to get back into the DSLR world.

I have previously used Canons, having had a succession of EOS cameras since 1990. The natural place for me to start was therefore the Canon 600D with a 24-105 lens. However, I am not tied to Canon and I wonder if the Nikon D5100 with a 24-120 lens may be a better bet.

My requirements are for speed of response and autofocus together with outstanding image quality. I am not concerned about a video function although I understand that both cameras offer this.

Is there anything to choose between these two? (yes, I know that I will have to properly handle both!)

Images

hi the 600d is a really good camera and i am sure as an old canon user you will feel at home with it, not to say that the nikon isnt as good. so go try both out. not sure why you have chose the 24-105 lens, again nice lens.

Images

Because I wantde something with a longer reach than the standard kit lens offers, without going to the super-range zoom lenses

Images

the 24-105 is a nice lens but costly. if you look at the crop factor then a sigma 17-70os gives you 27-112 saves you lots of money and its a good all round lens

Images

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am a firm believer that you should stick with one manufacturer, ever since a Nikon engineer, many years ago, chastised me for using a non-Olympus lens on my OM4.

I have read reviews of the cameras that suggest that the featires of the D5100 may be better but tat the Canon lens is superior. I wondr how much difference in reality there really is?

Further thoughts are that I could save money and get a D90 or a 550D, as both are previous generation but still available

Images

i have the 550d and the sigma lens and they are a fine match if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by hmlask View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion, but I am a firm believer that you should stick with one manufacturer, ever since a Nikon engineer, many years ago, chastised me for using a non-Olympus lens on my OM4.

I have read reviews of the cameras that suggest that the featires of the D5100 may be better but tat the Canon lens is superior. I wondr how much difference in reality there really is?

Further thoughts are that I could save money and get a D90 or a 550D, as both are previous generation but still available
    Hello!

Since the days of the OM4, lens technology has overwhelmingly improved. The main contenders; Sigma, Tokina and Tamron are superb performers. Some Tokina lenses were designed by ex Nikon engineers. Many top professional photographers use third party lenses, some of which can out perform Nikon/Canon lenses at certain apertures.

Off course, it's down to what you need or prefer, pro quality lenses offer tough build, fast apertures and some have weather sealing. You mention the D90 a superb camera, but, the D300 is much better.

Images

Well, I went for it.....and have ended up with a D90 and 24-120 F4 (Nikon) lens. Both bought as mint used examples and i am very pleased with them.

Thank you for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by hmlask View Post
    Well, I went for it.....and have ended up with a D90 and 24-120 F4 (Nikon) lens. Both bought as mint used examples and i am very pleased with them.

Thank you for the feedback
    Sounds like you have a good deal. The 24-120 makes a nice range on a DX body, 36-180mm. Congrats!

yeah, i think so, the 600d is a really good camera and i am sure as an old canon user you will feel at home with it,