Default Canon EF 600mm II or 800mm ??

Hi,
    I am in the fortunate position to be planning on buying a long reach telephoto lens.
    I would be using this lens for nature photography ; birds & mammals reptiles etc.
    The majority of these are elusive and small. But they are also fast moving/twitchy.

I have been using the 100-400 and have added a x1.4 extender v3 when I felt I needed the extra reach but the image quality is not so usable so I feel I need a longer reach telephoto.

With the new 600mm it has 2 fluorite elements and is f/4 so the extra speed would be very nice. Adding a 1.4x would get me to 840mm (though again image quality will degrade).

So the 800mm has the reach. This has only one fluorite element but I know the image quality is still superb. I use the 1Ds mark iii so I understand that this will autofocus down to f/8 which means with the 800 I could even use up to the x2 extender (though image quality may be unusable?). Not sure if a version II of the 800mm is coming?

So I have flexibilty and speed with the 600 or permanent reach but slower on the 800mm.

Any helpful advice gratefully received

Images

My advice would be rent the lenses and give them a try. If that's not possible then go to shop and try them there. There maybe other factors you haven't thought of and hands on will show it up. Good luck