Hybrid View

Default What do people think of the Sony Alpha A65 SLT?

Hi

I want to buy a DSLR, my first serious digital still camera purchase.

I want to take action shots within sporting and musical events as well as traditional portraits and landscapes.

I am looking at this model.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/so...r-review-17845

What do people think?

Thanks in advance.

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Blu2 View Post
    Hi

I want to buy a DSLR, my first serious digital still camera purchase.

I want to take action shots within sporting and musical events as well as traditional portraits and landscapes.

I am looking at this model.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/so...r-review-17845

What do people think?

Thanks in advance.

Hi I have just brought the A65 and rate it very highly, you won’t be sorry with your purchase.
    This is a link to the few images I have taken so far and as you will see it preforms very well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aidys1/...7629619090552/

Hello,

I would suggest, that you visit a camera store and handle as many dslr cameras they have. Think about the future! if you are going to shoot sporting and musical events you will need fast lenses example. a wide angle,18 or 24-70mm, 70-200mm, a 300mm or 400mm. It gets very expensive, so building up a camera kit from scratch needs a lot of thought. A camera with high ISO quality will be required for your sporting and musical events photography, that is, if you want the best performance. Slower lenses will also work fine, but you will need a high iso.. then quality will start to degrade.
    Think about used bodies or hire a combo to see how you get along.

Check out Nikon D700, good luck

The A65 is an excellent camera for sports as it has a very fast frame rate with high speed continuous AF. The high ISO performance is also very good. You should definitely check one out before buying though, especially as it has an electronic viewfinder instead of an optical one, which not everyone likes, though as EVFs go its one of the best.

I use the big brother to the a65, the a77, which both happen to be very similar (my friend has the A65, its awesome!)
    Just so happens that Im a music photographer, and my friends aspiring to be a sports photographer, so coming from two first hand experiences, I can guarantee that you wont be going wrong with Sony.

The a65 was my friends first DSLR, and in months with a bit of guidance, he's started getting some really, really good images.

Low light, admittedly its not the best, but I never need to go above its capabilities anyway (and I shoot some horribly lit venues!) so you should manage adequately on that front.

The high framerate is really nice to have, but you'll probably find you leave it alone unless you really need it, in which case its a stunner of a feature!

One downside of sony however, is the bad lens lineup, canikon have a much wider range of lenses to suit more needs, however, sony do have 99% of all the angles covered (only thing really missing is tilt shift lenses, everything else is all good!) and the Carl Zeiss branded lenses are AMAZING!

One obvious matter that needs adressing: the Electronic Viewfinder (dum dum dummmm!), personally, compared to the cameras with an equivalent price tag, I think the EVF easily outshines their optical viewfinders. Low light shooting becomes a breeze, almost like night vision! However I would recommend trying it out first, there is a real split opinion on them.

24 megapixel sensor has its ups and downs, obvious pro is you get immensly detailed files which look BEAUTIFUL when printed, downside: files are masssive which takes a toll on editing time.

Of course, with sony, they do have a good lineup of other cameras.

A37.
    Pros: Small discreet body, cheap, great features for low price point.
    Cons: Body may be *too* small, lower quality viewfinder, 'only' 5.5 pictures per second (can be increased to 7 when cropped to 8 megapixels), and 'only' 16 megapixels in total.

A57
    Pros: Medium sized body, good price point, packed full of features (moreso than a37)
    Cons: Lower quality viewfinder, only 16 megapixels

A77
    Pros: its a MANS camera, built like a tank! 12 fps, GPS, extra LCD on top, man sized grip, surprisingly light, way more controls on the camera itself, kit lens is FANTASTIC, amazing LCD screen which can do cool tricks, can attach a vertical grip to it, 24 megapixels (If youve not noticed by now, I love my camera ahha)
    Cons: Big ass files make editing painful, it costs a tearshedding amount, EVF not for everyone, and thats about it