Question First step to DSLR, but with specific requirement...

Hi there. I am looking to purchase my first DSLR camera and am looking to spend between 400-700 pounds. I currently use the Sony HX9V point-and-shoot which has served me very well for most of my needs whilst on holiday etc, however the one area which, although good for a compact, simply is not good enough for my needs, is the low-light capability.

I will soon be working for a local student magazine and will be asked to take high quality photographs inside nightclubs and in night-lit streets, something which the HX9V simply cannot reproduce accurately enough.

I have meticulously studied reviews of varying cameras such as the sony a-55, canon 600d and the nikon d5100 and others. I am unable to deduce from this just which camera would be the most reliable one for shooting in low-light/with varying light sources.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

hi temjam

the above DSLR's im sure will all do the job well as i own my self a 550D which is the same spec as the 600D with out the A Vari angle screen but for low light work you will need good lens as well as a flash thats were it bumps up the money buying good glass

as well have you looked at the Canon 60D as over the 550D & the 600D you have more control over the ISO setting faster burst rate and all 9 focus points are cross air and display a lot brighter in the view finder when trying to focus.
    lens to look out for
    Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM Lens
    Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DI II Lens
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens

and all so off camera flash cord
    so you you can control the light were you want it and not showing up as a big blob of white in the middle of your images

hope this is some help to you
    all the best
    Russ

Images

hi when buying a DSLR you are buying into a system so make sure that system fills your needs. once you have done that then go and try them out, if they feel right that goes a long way to being right.
    i am a canon shooter to and looking at your budget you may well have to up it or look at second hand market