Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Nikon to replacing my Nikon D50 with??

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade from my Nikon D50 and was thinking about the new D3200 however I'm not sure if I can fully use my current stock of AF Nikkor lenses i.e. the Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 D lens. with the D3200.

If I can't can anybody suggest how I move up from my current 6 megapixels without it costing the earth

Kind regards

What's your budget?
    You can use your older lenses however they won't autofocus with the d3200 (you need af-s lenses).
    Another option is looking at a second hand d200 or the likes. It will focus with the older lenses and is an unreal camera. Prices second hand are anything around 400

Images

Hi
    A d90 will also auto focus your AF lenses... Graham

Thanks for your replies so far.

Current budget is between 500 and 600 and as I'd ideally like a new Camera I'm leaning towards a new D90 as I wouldn't have to replace my existing lenses, of which my favourite is my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D AF. However the ISO range is fairly limited

I suppose the D90 must be a fairly decent camera as is hasn't been phased out of production yet and it costs more than say the relatively new D5100 and D3100 with 16 and 14 megapixels respectively? I suppose I'm somewhat confused as there are so many current Nikons to choose from

The D90 has been a hugely successful camera for Nikon, thanks to a fairly professional set of features and excellent build quality and performance. The D3200, for all its higher resolution sensor, is an entry level camera aimed at beginners - basically the latest version of your D50 - and the interface is designed with that assumption. Since you've already had a D50 you're probably ready to move on to something a bit more advanced unless you really need those 24 megapixels, or plan to shoot a lot of video (where the D3200 is clearly superior).

Thanks for your advice everyone I think I'll go the Nikon D90 route; seems very reasonably priced for my next step up, plus the fact that I've always been with Nikon, ever since my very first SLR, an F301 many years ago...........

Images

Let us know how you get on with it... graham

Thanks for all your help guys; I'll Iet you know how I get on.

Have you considered a D300 or Dx2 these can be found on E-bay, may be the DX2 is out of your budget, but, D300's are very much available.

Thanks for your suggestions Digital Eye, really appreciated.

I've just had a quick look at snapsort.com and their review shows the D90 outperforming the D2x/D2xs and on an equal par with the D300/D300s.

I still haven't taken the plunge, mainly because I'm concerned about buying 'old technology'; all three of these cameras have been out for a while now and if I'm going to spend some hard earned cash I need to feel that it's worthwhile in this respect, plus value for money. Unfortunately I'm not too keen on buying second hand.

Although I was initially going to purchase a D90, I've flirted with the D7000 (above my budget) and am now thinking of the D5100, although I would have to replace my Nikkor 50mm 1.8 AFD and Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens; I could always part ex these if I were to purchase the D5100.

Can anybody recommend the D5100?