Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nikon doesn't make a bad DSLR, they just vary in their design to target specific types of user. The D5100 shares much of the D7000's technology and should produce similar image quality but the body style and menu interface is more suited to the less advanced user (ie those seeking a lot of customisation and fine tuning options). It does however have an articulated LCD screen, which the D7000 does not have.
    Also, as you said, you'll need AF-S lenses to get autofocus.

Hi Grundig,

This is also good advice from snapshot.com

Snapsort recommends the Nikon D90. This recommendation, however, should be taken with a "grain of salt" since it doesn't always make sense to compare a pro DSLR with a entry-level DSLR.

Old technology, unless you are very wealthy or a Pro photographer, is something we all have to except, though I understand your thinking. New cameras, especially the so called beginners camera are being released so frequently that it is impossible to keep up. Having the most up to date technology will not make you a better photographer.

The D7000 is Nikon's best DX camera right now, a much better investment than the D5100. All Nikon's newest cameras will deliver excellent results, different cameras suit different working conditions, consider carefully what you will be shooting.

Well I've finally taken the plunge and gone for the Nikon D7000. Jessops are currently running a 10 month interest free deal so couldn't really resist it

Anyway thanks for your advice everyone; I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grundig View Post
    Well I've finally taken the plunge and gone for the Nikon D7000. Jessops are currently running a 10 month interest free deal so couldn't really resist it

Anyway thanks for your advice everyone; I'll let you know how I get on with it.
    Good choice Grundig!. Enjoy.