Hybrid View

Default new lens for canon eos 550d

hi looking some help. im using a tamron af 70-300 mm 1:4-5.6. .most photos i take are of motorbikes, mostly road races,but occasionly short circuits where the bikes are farther away. i'm thinking of buying a better 2nd hand lenses. and to be honest i'm not sure what to go for . willing to spend around 400-450. would like sharper shots . and would a 200 mm lens of better quality be any use. i'm also not too sure about all tke jargon in the adverts thanks joe

hi mondo

when i brought my first DSLR Camera i had the same lens as your using now and for a lens that's priced on some web sites at 99 its not a bad lens as others might think it is to get you started but later on i found the lens had trouble locking focus on things i was trying to take by the time it had i had lost the shot so i brought a Sigma 70 - 200mm F2.8 lens which is whats called a faster lens as were the Tamron is F4 at 70mm the Sigma is F2.8 at 70 all the way to 200mm the F stop don't change.But after reading about making lens longer so you can get more reach you can buy whats called a converter which fits on to lens but you have to make sure the lens & the converter match up as you cant just fit one to any lens they have to match.They come in two kinds a 1.4 or a 2 times which mean the first one will give the lens 1/4 extra zoom and the 2 giving 2's extra zoom but you do loss your f2.8 F-stop when you fit one to a faster lens. I brought the Sigma 2x converter so when its fitted my lens the F-stop goes to F5.6 but its still better then the Tamron when trying to track fast moving thing.The Tamron lens gives us Canon users with the 1.6 crop a focal length of 480mm when its set to 300mm with my Sigma and the Converter Fitted when the lens is at 200mm my focal length is 640mm giving me 160mm more then using the Tamron and faster locking on to what i try and focus on

here is a link to some shot's i took at a airfield using my Sigma fitted with the 2x Converter and i never missed any images i now if i had been using the Tamron i would have missed some that's the difference in the lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitz-p...7627778078848/

hope this will help you out all the best
    Russ
    Last edited by Blitz Photography & Prod; 07-05-12 at 03:05 PM.

Smile

cheers Russ
    much appreciated, some cracking shots of the helicopter, to be honest was thinking about the sigma f2. was just worried about the reach . had never thought about the adapter , so thanks again russ

your welcome mondo

Default New lens for canon eos550d

if your still about Russ, was looking at a sigma apo 135-400 4.5-5.6 around the same money as an f.2 what do u reckon ?

looking at the spec ive just read the 70 - 200mm is Sigma's Ex range were the sigma apo 135-400 4.5-5.6 is not so it might be like the Tamron slow at locking Focus were the 70 - 200mm locks on like super glue