Default Best technique for shooting the family indoors (compact cam)

I wonder if someone could help me with this, I am using the HX9V and have difficulty getting a good shot of the kids indoors, obviously the lighting isn't the best, using the flash produces harsh red-eye but I don't mind that because it can be removed in post, but I find the camera takes too long to focus and take the shot, does anyone have this camera who can offer some advice?

It doesn't have a person mode per se, but a background de-focus and in auto mode (face detection), which I do not like using because it can produce some awful results!

Any tips?

Pre-focus is the trick with any camera http://digital-photography-school.co...at-shutter-lag

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cool View Post
    Pre-focus is the trick with any camera http://digital-photography-school.co...at-shutter-lag
    Thanks for that, I have been working with cams for years so have some knowledge, I still see massive lags and poor pictures even with pre-focus.

You need anticipation as well - keep practicing lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cool View Post
    You need anticipation as well - keep practicing lol
    Lol, I am not an amateur lol, my workhorse is the 600D, just want advice on point and shoot compacts which performance is very poor compared to the old DSLR.

hi Aircanman

does it have a Manual setting on it so you can say change the ISO to get more light to the sensor in the low light

Best trick for getting photos of fast moving kids i have found is a dob of no more nails on the feet!

Images

Hi,

Taking photos indoors is always hard even when you think there is enough light you would be surprised how dull it really is compared to bright light outside, If you cant increase the light levels then increasing the ISO might help.

In regards to your focus problems I think you might be reaching the limitations to your camera, that's why we spend lots of money on expensive DSLR so we can take photos when you cant, that's why we have fast lenses, really high ISO settings, remote of camera flash and reflectors and a host of other stuff to get around this problems.

Cheers,

Luke

Some compact cameras struggle to focus quickly especially with children who move about all the time, I have always used a Sony HX series camera which is no slouch, and it struggles to focus in the lower light of the living room (even though it is well lit) - I have just bought an RX100 which is a 500 compact, and while the focusing is instant, the white balance is off, you can never win!!

Anyway, the DSLR always caught the shot and rarely failed, but that is no good for day to day shots of the family, it is about getting the balance, I think you are doing the right thing, but as said above, maybe the camera is slowing you down.

yeah, Taking photos indoors is always hard even when you think there is enough light you would be surprised how dull it really is compared to bright light outside