Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Basic set Up for Advice for Novice

Dear All,
    I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38.
    I would like to buy a telephoto lens to start taking wildlife shots.
    Checking the Panasonic site there are some accessories available for this model. I think I will need an adapter ring, but I am confused about 2/3rd lenses, thread diameter etc.

Basically, I need advice about if this is possible and what I need to buy if so. Obviously, this is my first venture in to photography and do not want to spend an enormous amount. I thought about 200 on the lens.

Many thanks.

Hi and welcome.

You will find that the adapter should come with any lens you buy for the FZ38. Always check with the seller first.

Have a look here http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/Acce...DMC-FZ38_t1808

These lenses will multiply your magnification by a factor marked on the lens. So, 1.7 x plus your 18x = 30.6x

You will have to do the research to find out which ones are best.

Cheers!

Hi Chris,
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    That link is great.
    I bought the camera for my sons GCSE work. However, I am in to wildlife and I have used it to take pictures of adders, lizards, birds on my bird feeders etc. An osprey has turned up here for the second year and I am keen to try and get some closer shots of it.

I am completely new to this so I hope you don't mind if I ask further questions once I have had a good look at the options on that page.

Kind regards,
    Ian

Hi Chris,

The 'Mega Kit'
    MEGAKIT (WIDE ANGLE, MACRO, AND TELEPHOTO KIT) for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38
    for 84.99
    seems an obvious choice as a basic starter for a complete novice. Can you tell me if the lenses might be ok or very cheap and no good.

Many thanks,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by The Lakestars View Post
    Hi Chris,

The 'Mega Kit'
    MEGAKIT (WIDE ANGLE, MACRO, AND TELEPHOTO KIT) for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38
    for 84.99
    seems an obvious choice as a basic starter for a complete novice. Can you tell me if the lenses might be ok or very cheap and no good.

Many thanks,
    Ian
    I thought you were after a zoom for wildlife? I also said to do some research!

Okay. For what it's worth. I've heard good things about the Panasonic DMW-LT55E http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/PANA...Z38_t1808_5408 You may be able to find it cheaper (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58mm-Lens-...item3f1677966d) - worth a look!

When it comes to glass (lenses). You gets what you pay for lol

Cheers!

Last edited by Chris Cool; 07-05-12 at 05:45 PM.

Smile

Hi there i dont know much about cameras but i have just done what you want to do,i have the FZ45 and have just got the adaper tube and 1.7 lens from panasonic. I orginaly got a cheep deal off flea bay that was terible for 30 please dont bother!

I got mine off Amazon for about 125 all in and have been useing it for a few weeks now, on the whole its a great up grade and i am getting some pleasing shots(for me anyway).When the setup is on the camera you will lose some of the versatiaty off the camera and it will be a bit heavier but you can use your hand on the lens to steady the camera for better shots. You do not have to set your camera to tele in the menu either as it will work fine.

Oh one last thingDO NOT USE A FILTER ON THE END OF THE CAMERA LENS AS IT WILL HIT THE TELE LENS WHEN FULLY ZOOMED!

I hope this has helped a bit.

Matt

Ha ha, sorry Chris. told you I know nothing at the moment. What does the 1.7X conversion on this lens mean? The one in that kit said 2X telephoto, so I stupidly thought it was a greater magnification.

Thanks for the feedback Matt. are you shooting wildlife with yours?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lakestars View Post
    Ha ha, sorry Chris. told you I know nothing at the moment. What does the 1.7X conversion on this lens mean?
    No worries. The 1.7x will give you 30.6 on your camera at full zoom. I did explain that earlier lol

HYes i am taking wildlife photos, and my shots are coming out well with the tele lens.

Oops, sorry. I see what that means in that post now.

So the 2x lens in that kit would give 38, but must be a far inferior lens.

I have read the reviews about the Panasonic DMW-LT55E on amazon and everyone seems pleased with it. It's available for 99.95 now so will probably give it a go.