Hybrid View

Smile Decisions, Decisions!

Hello everyone!

I've been struggling to make a decision about a new camera and was hoping someone would be able to please help me!

I've never been too much of an avid photographer and although I went through a phase of fiddling my my Dad's 35mm Canon SLR 12 years ago, I've always been a point and shoot kind of guy.

Recently I've been thinking of upgrading to something with a bit more functionality, I will use the camera for holiday snaps and landscapes when out walking.

I was thinking of getting a Canon G12 (294), my brother has one and I quite like the layout and the array of features. I then realised that the G1X (487) is now out but i'm not sure whether it's worth the extra 200?

The other camera I'm looking at is the Lumix GX1 (429 with 14-42mm Lens), I like the compact size and the fact I'll be able to change the lenses, I'd probably get a couple but don't want to spend a fortune straight away.

So any suggestions? I guess my question is G1X or GX1 and if G1X, is it worth 200 more than the G12? If the GX1 what lenses would you suggest?

Any help much appreciated!

Images

hi any of the cameras you mentioned will do a good job i have seen the g1x cheaper so look around, 379 amazon. if you havent tried them i would do that too. the g1x has fixed lens 28-112. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    hi any of the cameras you mentioned will do a good job i have seen the g1x cheaper so look around, 379 amazon. if you havent tried them i would do that too. the g1x has fixed lens 28-112. good luck
    Really? I haven't been able to find one for anywhere near that price. I've had a look on Amazon but can't find it, don't suppose you could send me a link please?

Considering your limited experience in photography, I'd recommend the G12.

It has all the controls that you will need, is the least expensive option and you have the added advantage of a family member who can assist you with any problems that you encounter.

It will be an ideal learning tool and is compact enough to be a constant companion for those 'impulse moments' when you need a readily available camera and a camera-phone won't suffice

See if you can convince your brother that he needs to upgrade and then get him to sell you his G12 at 'family rates'..

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sagen View Post
    Considering your limited experience in photography, I'd recommend the G12.

It has all the controls that you will need, is the least expensive option and you have the added advantage of a family member who can assist you with any problems that you encounter.

It will be an ideal learning tool and is compact enough to be a constant companion for those 'impulse moments' when you need a readily available camera and a camera-phone won't suffice

See if you can convince your brother that he needs to upgrade and then get him to sell you his G12 at 'family rates'..
    Haha, great minds think alike! I tried that one last night but he's not ready to upgrade yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Images

Link doesn't work for some reason, thanks anyway.

Images

all idid was google the camera and up it came in amazon