Default Do ice cold temperatures affect equipment?

Hi - I want to take my new Canon 600D to my birthday celebrations which includes a trip to the Ice Bar in London Is this safe for the camera and lens? Or will it affect them due to temperature changes - e.g. warm, very cold and then warm again. Thank you for your knowledge/help

Images

dont know what temps your talking about but it will be like winter take a cold object into warm and condensation will form I were glasses and thats what happens

Don't know what temperatures. Many thanks Will condensation have a detrimental effect on camera/lens? Or is it built to cope with differing temperatures?

Images

hi this again depends on the temp difference just had look and its -5 all year round

So - will going outside, from say a warm sunny day, then inside to the ice bar at -5 for one hour, then back outside to the warm sunny day have any detrimental effect on my camera/lens?

Images

it should be ok but i cant say for certain

Images

Hi You might see your lens fogging up due to condensation and the battery may drain quicker... Graham

Because warm air contains more water vapour (at any given Relative Humidity) then you should have no problem in taking your equipment into the Ice Bar.

However, on leaving the Ice Bar and moving to a warmer environment you may find that your lenses do mist over (as the water vapour in the warmer air condenses onto the cold surfaces).

Whilst in the Ice Bar you may wish to keep your camera and lenses insulated (for example, under your coat) for as much time as is practicable before leaving, to minimise the condensation.

You should also have little problem changing lenses whilst in the Ice Bar but may find that doing so soon after leaving results in a fogged mirror (if the camera has cooled).

I don't foresee any long term problems as such equipment is designed to withstand such limited temperature changes.

You may also wish to keep a spare battery in a pocket next to your body as colder batteries appear to go flat sooner due to the slowing of the chemical reactions needed to supply power. (Once warmed up again they will continue to be useful until chilled again.)