First of all, hi everyone! My name's Jay and I'm a Londoner who's been living here in beautiful Southern China for 2 years.
I'm here as a pro-musician and luckily where I live (Shenzhen, China) is right next to Hong Kong, so I have great chances to see some beautiful and interesting sights here, and hopefully take some good shots.

I've always had an interest in cameras and I've always been taking my own crude shots of things, but now I'm going to make a small step into the world of photography-proper.
I came out here with a Fujufilm bridge (ok for 180 about 5 years ago, only 5mp but takes reasonable pictures) and a Samsung PL57 compact (ok for day time, **** at night.)
So now I'm on the scout out for something to actually learn with and hopefully progress into taking better shots.

My main choices are either the Canon Gx1 or the Fuji X10. Both have plus and minus points (Canon takes great pictures but bad macro, Fuji has great macro but not quite as good picture quality) and I'm heading off to Hong Kong in the next week or so to buy something, so could someone point me in the right direction on which to buy? Or should I wait and see what appears over the camera-horizon in the next couple of months?

I'd also be possibly interested in a full DSLR but again, this is an area I have zero current knowledge of. (My last SLR was an Olympus 35mm from about 1995..!)
I like the idea of a good compact, I also looked at the Nikon P7100 and the Canon G12. I could also stretch to a Fuji X100 but I just can't get over the look of the thing! One man's poison and all that...!

Any opinions or suggestions are very greatly appreciated, cheers!