We're pleased to announce the winner and shortlisted entries for our Travel Photography gallery competition.

Our competition offered a chance for travel snappers everywhere to share their photos, experiences and inspiration.

People could enter lifestyle shots, portraits, architecture, landscapes and other scenes of interest on their travels for a chance to win a Nikon D90 kit, provided by Argos.

The winner and shortlist are as follows:

Winning photo:

The Blue City by Alexander Ong

The blue city
See larger version

Chefchaouen, Morocco a roof-top city in the heart of the Rif Mountains. The hustle and bustle of this busy market city gives way to a child’s entrance.

AlexanderAbout Alexander

“I am a Malaysian photographer born in Malaysia and currently living in London. Having a verity of experiences in traveling, I have developed an interest in the human story. This became heightened when I was asked by my newspaper in Malaysia, travelling to Indonesia and captured the human suffering of the 2004’s Tsunami and earthquake that decimated whole populations.

My main interest lies in photographing people and landscape. Each face drags me into an obituary of the individual experience and leaves a permanent mark in the human physic that in turn borrows to the surface.

Every event in a person’s life seems to be carved in some way into the face and body.”

Alexander wins a Nikon D90 kit

Shortlisted entries: 

Number 10, Spanish Style by Ben Evans

Number 10 Spanish Style
See larger version

About Ben

BenBen is a former market research executive who left his job in the City to follow his dream of taking photographs and teaching photography.

He also writes, blogs avidly, and has a podcast on iTunes, Poems in English, in which he reads his favourite poems, accompanied by a guitar.

His photographic heroes are Steve McCurry, who is able to squeeze every last bit of colour out of Kodachrome, Rankin, who communicates really well with his portrait subjects, and Mario Testino, who captures a certain look in his photographs that he loves and admires.

Traditional Filipino Dance by Nathaniel Gonzalez

Traditional Filipino Dance
See larger version

Taken in the Philippines. Dance and traditional costume of a daughter of a Sultan(chieftain) in Southern Philippines.

NathanAbout Nathaniel

“I am an amateur photographer, and nurse by profession.

I love travelling and capturing the culture and the people of the place in the camera.

I always bring my camera whenever I travel and as much as possible.

I always ask permission from people before I take their photos.”

Louvre by Ruth Bell

Ruth pic
See larger image

About Ruth

Ruth“I’m a schoolteacher of some 25 years and have two lovely grown-up sons.

I started photography about 4 years ago on a more serious level – I’ve always loved it – but now feel as though I can relate more to the world around me and be more creative.

I particularly find post production work (in Photoshop) extremely ‘freeing’!”

Take a look at all the entries