Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Photo Improvements

Hi all,

Haven't posted on here in a while.

I've recently started a Flickr account, just to show off a few photos of my own I like (none that would rival yours I'm sure) - I was just after some input into how I could improve my photos in Photoshop? I think it's just knowing how to look at a photo in order to know how to improve it/how it's best viewed?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Martin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79112972@N08/

Default Photo Improvement

Basically, most photographs produced by digital cameras need some tweaking. But the first thing you must do is get the composition and exposure right in the camera. OK, you can tweak the composition a bit by using the Crop tool, and the exposure can be tweaked a little in Levels.

After that, you should not need to do much else other than a little sharpening; I use the Unsharp Mask tool, found under Filters, with settings of 75-150 Amount, 1.5 Radius and 5 Threshold. This gives me what I want most times, but by all means vary a little either way to suit your pictures.

Images

Hi Martin
    Sound advice from Roy every photo I take gets sharpened.
    Can you tell us what Photoshop program you are using... Graham

Roy, Graham, thank you very much for your comments!!

Roy, I do the majority of my Photoshop here in the office at work, so only have Photoshop 6.0, though I have, I think, CS2 at home.

Roy, I've just had a quick go at sharpening an image, using your guidance - and the difference is incredible, so thank you!

Images

hi what you need to do is get a workflow. if you shoot RAW then convert with camera RAW then do any adjustments in photoshop then last thing sharpen. good luck

Would Lightroom be a good programme to get into?

Images

lightroom is a good program but again depends what you want to achieve. I use aperture 3 its apples version of lightroom i use it to do all my RAW conversion. then use pse9 for all the rest.
    what you can do is load a 30 day trial and see if its for you. it maybe that cs6 or pse10 will suit your needs better again 30day trials are there.

hi Martin

are you taken your images as raw or jpg format
    if your taken your images in raw this will give you total control of the end image
    with taken images as a jpg there are any so much you can do in post as the camera as all ready done most of it all ready so you are limited

if you can taken them as raw images Adobe Lightroom 4 is a power full tool when doing your images not that hard to learn your eyes let you now when a images looks good plus there is lots of info & video's to find on the web about lightroom and as i all ways say google is your best m8 when looking to learn any thing

all the best Russ

Images

Hi all,

All these programs are great at refining your photos but I have a rule. If it take me more than 5 minutes to refine and tweak my photo then I should have taken a better shot.

I shoot in RAW and take take it into Photoshop, I usually mess around with clarity, vibrance and saturation and sometimes crop. I put my emphasis on photography first and photo retouching second.

The best program to use is the one that you understand the best. I use photo shop nearly every day so for me I am sticking with this as I know what it can do. Im sure there are loads of great software out there but I feel it is to understand one really well then know a little about lots of software.

Cheers,

Luke