Default Art gallery photography - how to?

Greetings Having just purchased my first DSLR camera (Canon 600D) due to numerous limitations with my compact, I wonder if someone would be kind enough to give me the basics for taking pictures at an art exhibition (which usually stipulates no flash).

I only have the 18-55 IS lens and the 50mm 1.8 fixed. Would either of those do? And what are the best camera settings for this subject, or should I set to automatic and hope for the best? I won't be able to read and grasp the whole manual before I go so just looking for some basic guidance please

One of the pieces is set in a darkened room, so how can I get beautiful, crisp images of that (the piece I refer to is Damien Hirst's - For the Love of God)?

Oh and are there any tips for avoiding reflection on pieces encased in glass - of which there are quite a few?

Thank you kindly
    Last edited by NicciJB; 02-04-12 at 09:52 PM.

Images

first shoot in RAW the 50 1.8 is going to open up more but it all depends on how much light is available the 50 1.8 is not IS so I think you may well struggle. you will have to turn up the ISO but i wouldnt go above 3200 so it looks to me like you either shoot in AV mode or manual mode. beauty of a DSLR is you can take some practise shoots. lets hope other people here have had some experience with this type of shooting good luck. is this the TATE Modern if so then tripods are not allowed either

Yes, it's the Tate Modern. I don't have a tripod at the moment anyway - but why are you not allowed to use one? You are still allowed to take photographs at the Tate without a flash though, right?

(Hayward Gallery would not allow me to take pictures of the Tracey Emin exhibition on my rubbish compact last May when people were openly taking pictures with their smart phones) :/

Images

I would imagine copyright as for tripods health and safety

Images

Hi
    The reason you can't use flash guns in most are galleries is they omit small amounts of UV light which damages oil paint and coloured tapestries. The tripod is not allowed for health and safety reasons... Graham

hi NicciJB

on your 600D using the lens you have there is a setting on the dial which lets you take images were you cant use a flash you will find it in the middle of the A+ and the CA sign on your dial put it in that mode and you should be fine for taken you images but as wave put best to shoot in raw format so if the noise is showing a up a little you can help remove it later using software back on the pc

if you would like to see some shots taken in this mode here are some i took one day in a low light room in no flash mode using my Canon 500D with the 18 to 55mm kit lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blitz-p...th/5278047665/

hope this helps
    all the best Russ

Thank you everyone

Russ - if I use the no flash mode on the dial, do I need to change the ISO setting also? Or can you only alter ISO when in manual mode anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by NicciJB View Post
    Thank you everyone

Russ - if I use the no flash mode on the dial, do I need to change the ISO setting also? Or can you only alter ISO when in manual mode anyway?
    hi NicciJB

in no flash mode all the settings are done for you shutter speed iso f stop all you need to do is point your camera at what you want to take a image of .The creative modes you cant change iso

any ones that can have there iso changed are p mode ,av,tv,m mode ,dep mode on your dial
    best thing i can say is just get out with your camera and take some images we can read and watch video's on how to use a DSLR but you will find out quicker by using it and trying different settings you soon learn it when you start to see your images

hope this is some help all the best
    Russ