Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new lens 18-250 ish best ones

I have been looking to get a new lens for my 550d as currently I have the 18-55 and 55-250 but am needing to swap over too often.
    I have been looking at the
    Tamron 18-270PZD
    Canon 18-200
    Sigma 18-250
    Tamron 28-300

I have ruled out the canon but am stuck between the other 3. I know the 28-300 works out at around 40 somthing on my camera but it may be wide enough for what Im wanting.
    I have tried them at the shops but got mixed results when looking back at the images. In one the tamron looked sharp but from the other shop it was soft to blured.
    Im planning on going back and doing it all again but would like to know what people think of the ones above.
    Thanks
    Lee

Images

In general, the Tamron 18-270 does fairly well on test, but in all honesty, none of them are likely to be as good as your two existing lenses (especially the 55-250). You pay a high price for convenience, and personally, I would always rather change lenses than live with the quality issues.

Images

I have to ditto the above the 55-250 really delivers where it matters and thats in the IQ stakes. It is also very light to carry. what you may have to look at is getting a replacement for the 18-55 so that goes a bit longer something like a sigma 17-70ps

Thanks both for your advice. I've been doing a bit more reading and there seems to be very mixed reviews for both the tamron and sigma. I agree that having a few lenses at different sizes would be best but at the moment Im taking a lot of photos at dog shows etc and there just is not the time to swap the lens over.
    Is there one I've missed looking at? I may not need to go as wide as 18mm but do need wider than 55mm which is where I looked at the 28-300 but again not sure now.

Images

you could look at 24 -105 from canon its a fixed f4 across the zoom but it is pricey as its an L lens

Wave
    I borrowed a 24-105 from work and yes it was a very nice lens, focus was fast. Only 2 issues with it are price and the zoom is not quite enough for what im after.

I've been out to the shops and tried all 4:
    Tamron 18-270PZD
    Canon 18-200
    Sigma 18-250
    Tamron 28-300

I think the sigma is out as it does not seem as sharp as the others. The 18-270 and 28-300 seem to be about the same though the 28-300 seems soft at the 300 end. I had rules out the canon due to it being the smallest range but today read in a magazine that it will work better with the camera being canon etc. I did try it and no issues with the quality.
    Has anyone got or tried any of these lenses and can give there opinion on them please.

hi ltodd2

as this new lens got to be at the 28mm end as have you not thought of looking at the Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD that as been getting some great reviews over the older version which i had for 3 years as part of a packed when i brought my first DSLR back in 2009 or the Sigma 70 - 200mm F2.8 lens

Not cheap lens but like they say its all about the quality of the glass you stick on the front of your camera as your 550D is up for the job as i use a 550D my self and if i put my old Tamron on i know the difference later back in post with the quality of the images then when i got a better quality made lens fitted

hope this is some help
    all the best
    Russ

To echo some of the other comments here, superzoom lenses are, on the whole, optically no match for lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges, so you'll see a downgrading of image quality from what you have.
    I agree with the suggestion of getting a wider range replacement for the 18-55mm so you have more overlap with the tele lens. The 24-105 would be great but if even the average second hand price of around 600 is above your budget may I suggest Canon's 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM? Not quite as wide but goes to 135mm. We gave it a Gold Award in our http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...macro-usm.html. http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...macro-usm.html

Russ, Nigel

Thanks for the input from both of you. The reason for looking at 28mm or 18mm is that I was after was something that I could use as a general lens and for using at the dog shows to give me the option of wide through to telephoto. I've come to the opinion that im likely to be disappointed with the quality of such a lens.
    The lens you put the Canon's 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, is it similar to the Canon EF-S 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS apart from the obvious of EF or EF-S and one has USM. If im right 135mm on the EF would work out at about 216mm on my 550d

We haven't yet tested the EF-S 18-135mm. Its a budget lens so unlikely to be as good optically as the 28-135mm, but from other reviews I've looked at the consensus seems to be that it's not bad but suffers a little from distortion and chromatic aberrations.
    But photographers have their own quality threshholds. Some are extremely demanding and want only the very finest image quality (the 'pixel-peepers') , while many others don't scrutinise their images under a magnifier and are happy as long as it produces sharp-to-the-eye images at normal sizes. If you're in the latter category any of the lenses you've mentioned would suffice, but if you're looking for the best optical quality you can get the 28-135mm would most likely be the better choice if you can live without the 18mm end of the range.