Default Which camera? Nikon P300 or P310?

Hi all

After reading the reviews on digital cameras I decided to get the Nikon P300 to use along side my Nikon 1.

However, I have since discovered that the P300 has been discontinued and the P310 has replaced it.

Cost wise, I can probably get hold of a P300 for £180 and a P310 for £250 ish. But I no longer know which one I should get. I have posted the differences below and would like an expert opinion on whether the new one is worth getting over the discontinued one.

Thanks in advance
    Sarah x

Here are the key features from the P300

Key Features
    Specifications
    Included Accessories
    Optional Accessories
    Product Views
    Bright, ultra wide-angle NIKKOR 4.2x zoom lens with fast f/1.8 aperture with Nikonís High Refractive lndex glass. Offers outstanding precision, sharp resolution and high contrast even in low-light. (35mm film-format equivalent: 24-100mm).
    Back illuminated 12.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor increases the amount of light that each pixel receives, improving sensitivity and reducing noise for superb performance in any light.
    Exposure Modes (P/S/A/M) for greater creative control. Programmed Auto (P), Shutter-priority (S), Aperture-priority (A) and Manual (M).
    Full (1080p) HD movie recording with stereo sound: optical zoom and autofocus are available during recording. Boasts an option to film in slow or fast motion using recording speeds of up to 120fps (VGA). Camera features a built-in HDMI connector with HDMI-CEC support for output to a HDTV.
    High-resolution 7.5 cm (3-in.) 921k-dot LCD monitor with wide viewing angle. Boasts Nikonís Clear Color Display technology that reduces power consumption and minimizes reflections, even in bright sunlight.
    Fine craftsmanship: boasts classic looks and superior ergonomics that aid purposeful photography by combining secure, stable operation, with manual control, advanced functions and precision optics.
    7x anti-blur automatically counters blurred images in seven different ways. Lens-shift Vibration Reduction reduces the effect of camera shake and can be set simultaneously for additional protection. High ISO (up to 3200) light sensitivity reduces the risk of blurred images with fast-moving subjects or in low-light. Motion detection compensates for camera and subject movement. Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically selects the sharpest of up to 10 sequential shots. Dedicated light modes: deliver superb results in any light, even without a tripod: Night Portrait mode delivers beautifully detailed night scenes and indoor portraits. Night Landscape mode lets you shoot sharp images at low ISO. HDR*2 backlight mode offers impressive tonal detail in any situation.
    EXPEED C2 image processing system provides enhanced movie recording, high-sensitivity performance and maximum image quality.
    Easy Panorama 360į/180į: lets you pan vertically or horizontally to create dynamic panoramas.
    High-speed continuous shooting (8fps) at full resolution: lets you shoot up to 7 continuous shots at eight frames per second.
    Creative Slider: instant retouch and review function. Lets you adjust the brightness, saturation and color tone of the image without the need for a computer.

And here are the features from the P310

Bright NIKKOR 4.2x optical zoom lens with fast f/1.8 aperture (24Ė100mm), and ultra wide-angle coverage. Offers outstanding precision, sharp resolution and high contrast.
    Back-illuminated 16-MP CMOS sensor: with each pixel receiving more light, this highly sensitive image sensor works with the EXPEED processor to deliver clear shots in any light.
    Advanced lens-shift Vibration Reduction VR: Nikonís second-generation vibration reduction system reduces the effect of camera shake in real time and lets you use shutter speeds that are up to four stops slower.
    Full HD (1080p) movie recording with stereo sound: a dedicated video-record button makes it easy to begin filming.
    7.6 cm (3.0-in.) 921k-dot LCD screen: whether you shoot in bright sunlight or in low light, the large LCD screen with anti-reflective coating offers sharp contrast and clear viewing.
    Advanced movie features: you can use the optical zoom with autofocus when recording, and film in slow or fast motion using speeds of up to 120 fps. A built-in HDMI connector lets you connect the camera directly to an HDTV.
    Customizable function button (Fn): bypass the menu and set a shortcut to your favorite camera setting.
    Auto HDR mode: capture images with impressive tonal detail in any situation when you shoot in HDR mode. The camera combines two shots taken at different exposures during a single shutter release to create an image with wide dynamic range and rich color gradation.
    Easy Panorama 360į/180į: pan vertically or horizontally to create dynamic panoramas.
    3D shooting mode: create a 3D image of any still subject to be played back on 3D-capable TVs and computers. The camera combines two images taken from different positions; the second shot is taken automatically when the camera detects that you are in the right position.
    Mode dial with manual exposure modes (P/S/A/M) and User mode, where you can recall your preferred camera settings instantly.
    High-speed continuous shooting: shoot up to five full-resolution shots at 6 fps, or up to 30 full-resolution shots at 1 fps.
    Fast and accurate AF: when you want to capture complex subjects, you can shoot in manual focus with a 99-point autofocus system for extra-sharp results.
    Subject Tracking AF: capture sharp shots of subjects that canít or wonít stay still. Subject Tracking AF keeps the camera focused on a selected subject even if it is moving around.
    Wireless transfer: compatible with Eye-Fi X2 (or later) cards. Transmit your digital photos (in JPEG format) directly to your phone or personal computer, and then connect to the Internet to take advantage of Nikonís photo sharing service, my Picturetown.
    Retouch menu: enhance your photos in-camera with a range of filter effects. Includes options such as Selective Color, which converts your image to monochrome then adds a splash of color to an area of your choice, and Cross Screen, which lends a starry effect to bright objects.
    EXPEED C2: Nikonís fast and powerful image processing system provides high-speed operation, enhanced movie recording, high-sensitivity performance and maximum image quality.

Hi

Well, I had a look through your highly detailed post and have to say that the lower pixel count of the P300 does it for me. Less is best for image quality in my book!

Cheers!