Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    7

    Default First DSLR camera choice, Help me out please !

    Hello fellow photgraphy friends,

    I am a noob when it comes to Digital Cameras. I would like to develop photograhpy as a hobby. I travel to interesting countries much. Like India, Nepal, Egypt and Africa. And I realized everyone has professional cameras. I felt like so much oppurtunities missed, because there were many moments to catch.

    So as a graduation present and birthday present I am entitled to one.
    I am not sure but I can spend up to 2500 dollars MAX with the lense and all.
    I have been investigating for some time now and I got
    *Canon EOS 600D
    *Nikon d5000
    *Canon EOS 40D
    *Nikon D90

    Sorry for the long post but what do you guys propose ?
    I am a noob/beginner anyd advice is useful thanks '!

  2. #2

    Default

    Hi and welcome.

    All the DSLRs you've chosen will take excellent pics, so, which one to choose?

    Both the Canon EOS 600D and the Nikon D5000 have articulated screens so they both come first on my list. The Canon EOS 600D has an amazing 1,040,000 dot screen. The Nikon D5000 has 230,000 dot screen...

    It is so important to be able to see what you have just taken (especially when it might be your only shot of the day) and to be able to zoom in and see if it's sharp etc. Minimum spec on an LCD should be 460,000 ( I have that on my compact)

    So, from your list, it's the Canon EOS 600D for me.

    If you'd like to have a silent DSLR (no mirror flapping up and down). Have a look at the http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...=canon_eos600d side by side...

    Don't forget, post processing is an important part of photography and should be used to sharpen and enhance pictures taken with any camera. If you don't have an imaging editor, then use the one in my signature below. There are 32 video tutorials to get you started. The most useful is the http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/Videoes/...06_Levels.html and for the advanced user. The http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/Videoes/...07_Curves.html is a must (it's my favourite all-in-one adjuster). My Resize-Crop-Sharpen tutorial below, will get your pics ready for the internet


    Cheers!


    .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cool View Post
    Hi and welcome.

    All the DSLRs you've chosen will take excellent pics, so, which one to choose?

    Both the Canon EOS 600D and the Nikon D5000 have articulated screens so they both come first on my list. The Canon EOS 600D has an amazing 1,040,000 dot screen. The Nikon D5000 has 230,000 dot screen...

    It is so important to be able to see what you have just taken (especially when it might be your only shot of the day) and to be able to zoom in and see if it's sharp etc. Minimum spec on an LCD should be 460,000 ( I have that on my compact)

    So, from your list, it's the Canon EOS 600D for me.

    If you'd like to have a silent DSLR (no mirror flapping up and down). Have a look at the http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...=canon_eos600d side by side...

    Don't forget, post processing is an important part of photography and should be used to sharpen and enhance pictures taken with any camera. If you don't have an imaging editor, then use the one in my signature below. There are 32 video tutorials to get you started. The most useful is the http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/Videoes/...06_Levels.html and for the advanced user. The http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/Videoes/...07_Curves.html is a must (it's my favourite all-in-one adjuster). My Resize-Crop-Sharpen tutorial below, will get your pics ready for the internet


    Cheers!


    .
    Thank you for the fast reply. I have already beginned to watch your tutorials and begin to do so more when i get my camera they seem very helpful.

    Furthermore I can not decide. These too sound appealing:
    *Nikon D300 or D300s
    *Nikon d80
    *Canon EOS 7D
    *Canon EOS 5D Mark 2

    Since this is my graduation present I can spend money and I want a lasting camera probably for many many years to come.

  4. #4

    Default

    Ah well!

    Now we're talking real money! All are top amateur cameras!

    You have a look at the Canons (I've added the the 5D III) http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...non_eos5dmkiii

    Learn what Full frame and APS-C sensor means with regards lenses http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ensor-size.htm

    Cheers!


    .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    7

    Default

    My latest dillema is Canon EOS 600D or EOS7D

    I look at comparision and other than battery life I could not get why 7D is more expensive than 600D.
    So as you said at the beginning I am leaning towards EOS 600D.
    Is there a better model that you can suggest, or EOS is good enough for a beginner like me ?
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    1,141
    Images
    11

    Default

    hi i would save yourself a some money and look at the 550d the money saved can be used to get another lens or two, which hasnt been mentioned yet.
    when buying a DSLR you should remember that you are buying into a system so make sure that system meets your needs. also go and try the cameras out see how they feel.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    hi i would save yourself a some money and look at the 550d the money saved can be used to get another lens or two, which hasnt been mentioned yet.
    The OP does not need to save money as he has already stated. The 550D has fixed screen. The 600D has articulated screen. We have not got round to lenses yet lol
    Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    when buying a DSLR you should remember that you are buying into a system so make sure that system meets your needs. also go and try the cameras out see how they feel.
    Very true!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
    My latest dillema is Canon EOS 600D or EOS7D

    I look at comparision and other than battery life I could not get why 7D is more expensive than 600D.
    Ah, well, if you read the reviews. You would know why - just compare the conclusions - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/30 ------ http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos600d/19


    Quote Originally Posted by Masquerade View Post
    So as you said at the beginning I am leaning towards EOS 600D.
    Is there a better model that you can suggest, or EOS is good enough for a beginner like me ?
    Thanks
    There are so many makes and models, that it could pay you to go to your local camera shop and look at them all (take some sandwiches and your gold card lol).

    I'm a Canon man, so I'm biased. I would buy the 600D for sure. However, you may like the feel of a Nikon, Sony, Pentax etc...

    As for lenses - well, we're gonna spend a small fortune on those, so set aside a couple of thousand when your ready to talk lol...

    OK, well, while your waiting, lets get you learning...


    Then take a look at Canons basic DSLR tutorials and learn how to use it and find out about ISO, Exposure, Depth of Field, Aperture priority, Shutter priority etc in picture form. Take a look at Canons basic DSLR tutorials and learn how to use it and find out about ISO, Exposure, Depth of Field, Aperture priority, Shutter priority etc in picture form... applies to all DSLRs.

    Read what the http://www.tutorial9.net/tutorials/p...s/crop-factor/ means in terms of sensor size and lenses.

    Photography tutorials in layman's terms
    When you’ve mastered the very basic, then you can move onto these simple tutorials
    http://www.photoxels.com/digital-pho...tutorials.html

    After that, it's up a notch!

    Ron Bigelow's fabulous articles
    All you'd ever want to know http://ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm

    Cambridge in Colour...
    Learn how to take and edit digital photographs using visual tutorials that emphasize concept over procedure, independent of specific digital camera or lens. Topics range from basic camera tips to advanced techniques.
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

    Looks like you're gonna be busy for a while


    Cheers!

    PS. You may be interested in what I used in my film days - they say it was ahead of it's time and I have to agree - I would have slept with it had the wife let me lol! http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_eos_a2.htm simply stunning... since my illness, I now just use a simple point 'n' shoot http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ew/conclusion/ Not many compacts get the coveted 5 star ESSENTIAL award (see bottom of page)...


    .
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 11-03-12 at 04:04 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Chris you have been a great help and your tutorials seem awesome.
    I went to the mall as you said and triedall of the cameras. Aesthetics and handling wise I liked 60D the most.
    I did not like Nikon at all so maybe I am not a Nikon guy.
    Canon 60D vs 7D is the last two standing.
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...s-Canon_EOS_7D

    its a very close call and 7D is bit expensive. I am going to think about this more any help is appreciated thanks !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Everybody states NikonD7000 is better than Canon EOS 7D, however when I hold it, it looks cheap, meaning that its semi plastics whereas canon looks and feels better. However Nikon takes better pictures and have a longer battery. And there is only 100 dollars inbetween. God what a hard decision.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •