Default Canon EOS 550d vs. Nikon D3100

Hello
    I am a very keen amateur photographer and I'm looking for my first DSLR. I've narrowed it down to the Canon EOS 550d and the Nikon D3100, because of features, price and brand reliability. I know the ropes of most Canons and Nikons because I know people with them, so ease of use for complete beginners isn't 100% a deciding factor. I shoot pretty much anything, mainly landscapes, portraits, animals, macro and sports. I would like the camera to have really good image quality.
    If anyone either has one of these cameras or knows about them, please could you help me make my desicion, i've been mulling it over for weeks now!
    Thanks, Alice x

hi Alice

Welcome to WDC forum I use a 550D iv'e just up graded from the 500D i can't really say much for the Nikon D3100 as iv'e never used a Nikon but as for the 550D Vs 500D it handles images better in low light when you have to up the iso i took some test shots for my self put the setting the same on both Cameras same iso settings same lens and the quality was better on the 550D images then on the 500D this was using my Sigma 70 - 200mm F2.8 in doors now in just over three years iv'e taken some five thousand image with the 500D and happy with them shoots so im sure now using the 550D there going to get better but i once read on the net its not just the Camera body's that makes good images all so good choice in lens as well so that's some thing to bear in mind as well so if you do buy the Canon 550D with the right lens choice you would be more then happy with your images

hope this is of some help to you
    all the best Russ

Images

hi first let me say the nikon d3100 is more of an entry level and goes with the canon 1100d. the 550d goes with the nikon d5100. that said remember when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system fits your need.
    I shoot a canon 550d and its is great camera you will not be disappointed, i feel people get entry levles but can soon out grow them so the 550d is a good starting point

Hi again, thanks for your help. I think I'm going to go with the canon, as I think that would last me longer! X