Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur doyle photography View Post
    Thank you again you are a great help! First of 18X would be enough and not that much+The D3100 very cheap and much better than the D3000......I might just save up for that then!
    Thank you
    Most sincerely,
    Arthur doyle
    OK, glad to be of assistance
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 10-03-12 at 08:34 PM.

Hi Arthur,

We've actually looked at the cost of buying a DSLR system with an equivalent reach to a long zoom bridge camera in the latest issue that hits the shelves on Friday.

The cheapest combination we found was the Canon EOS 1100D combined with the Sigma 120-400mm, that came in with a total cost of just over 1000. This provides a 35mm focal length equivalent of 640mm at the long end of the zoom due to the 1.6x crop-factor of the camera.

It's not a cheap set-up if you're in a budget. As the guts have said, might be worth looking at a second hand solution. You can pick up DSLRs very reasonably now, while a 70-300mm would be worth considering as you long zoom, though it won't have quite the same reach as your HS10's 720mm reach - it'll be nearer 450mm with the 1.5x crop of a Nikon DSLR.

Hope that helps, great images by the way.

3. Default

Thanks I will be saving up! Hear another question for you guys because you have been so much help
    Canon 1100D or Nikon D3100?
    Thanks
    Arthur doyle

Thanks I will be saving up! Hear another question for you guys because you have been so much help
    Canon 1100D or Nikon D3100?
    Thanks
    Arthur doyle
    http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...tDir=ascending

5. Default

So your saying it doesn't really matter?

So your saying it doesn't really matter?
    Save up your pennies and in the meantime, get yourself down to your big electrical store and touch both of them - you will like one over the other...

In the end, these are just light capturing boxes. Nothing more, nothing less, with all bells and whistles on 'em!

Touchy feely is the order of the day me thinks!

Cheers!