Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon pictures

Default Moon pictures

Hi everyone,
    My first post so be gentle with me.
    I have recently upgraded my Nikon D40 to a Nikon D3100 and I'm very happy with it. I also have the standard 18-55 lens and a Nikon 80-300 zoom which I use for Car rallying and other motor sport use. I also have a Sigma 150-500 which I tend to use for wildlife.
    Recently I've been experimenting with moon photgraphs and have hit a snag.
    Using the 80-300 on max. zoom I can set the lens to manual focus and the camera to 'S' priority to play with different shutter speeds. Even though the camera says 'image too dark' it will still take reasonable pictures by changing shutter speeds.
    However, when I switch to the Sigma, even though I can overide to manual focus, the camera refuses to take any pictures. I've even set the shutter speed up to 8 seconds and it still refuses to shoot.
    Am I missing something or is it not possible to use the Sigma for night time work?
    Suggestions wlecomed.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Images

hi and welcome has your camera got a manual mode if so try it on that.

Hi Wave, Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid I've already tried Manual mode and still no joy.

Mick

Images

Hi
    You could try setting the metering to spot ... graham

Hi Graham,
    Sorry but no idea what that is. Please explain. Can't find any reference to it in the Nikon manual.
    Mick

Images

does the sigma work under other enviroments

Images

Hi
    Go to your information button press it twice, use your scroll until metering is highlighted and press ok then move down to the small dot it's the last one then press ok. I was going to ask waves question does it shoot in good light? ok... graham

Hi guys,
    Yes I can confirm that the lens works absolutely great under 'normal' conditions.

Graham,
    I'll give the spot setting a try and see what happens. (when the sleet and rain have gone away)

Mick

Images

the only time i cant shoot is when i dont get focus lock is the best i can come up with

Quote Originally Posted by plasticman View Post
    Hi guys,
    Yes I can confirm that the lens works absolutely great under 'normal' conditions.

Graham,
    I'll give the spot setting a try and see what happens. (when the sleet and rain have gone away)

Mick
    Hi Mick. I've done moon shots with my D300 and my Sigma 120-400mm lens. To get the right exposure for the moon I shoot in Spot mode, which you can find under 'metering'. I also switch off the 'image stabilisation' on the lens, set the camera to 'Manual Mode' and focus manually. I'm sure I put a moon shot in my gallery so check it out, knowing that you will get a bigger image with your 150-500mm.
    I also shoot Superbikes when they race at my local circuit with my Sigma 120-400mm, I think it's a great lens!
    All the best, Mike.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012