Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Time for a new camera - what to get?

Hi,

I have had the same camera now for 3 years! Its time for a new one and I havent got a clue what to get!

I am not a professional photographer but i do enjoy taking pictures so i want something good, but it is for personal use, holidays etc. Main requirements are: -

- To be able to take quick pictures with a tap of the button instantly, multiple times if possible
    - To be able to take good quality images at night! This was my main issue with my previous camera, it would not take good shots at night and we missed out on so many nice pictures!
    - High quality pictures in all conditions
    - A good zoom! Not x2 / x4 etc.
    - Full pixel width, is it 1080 or something?
    - High Definition Pictures and HD Video
    - Good sized storage

Can anyone please recommend a good camera that covers the above, there are that many out there and i dont want to buy something rubbish again.

My budget is around 200.

Hope someone can help me out,

Cheers

Default Sony HX9v - Panasonic TZ20

Hi

Have a look at the Sony HX9v http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...c_hx9v_review/ Look for the Twilight feature and Super Auto. http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0208/show.html
    To be able to take quick pictures with a tap of the button instantly
    Not possible as the camera has to focus first, then adjust the settings for the light, however it's pretty fast, but not instantaneous... Note: Both have a 'burst' mode that takes 10 shots in a row. You can then choose the best one.

Also worth a look is the Panasonic TZ20 that has a touch screen http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...c_tz20_review/ ------- http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/search.a...FYcRfAodjmieWw

Also, post processing is an important part of photography and should be used to sharpen and enhance pictures taken with your camera. If you don't have an imaging editor, then use the one in my signature below. There are 32 video tutorials to get you started.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 29-02-12 at 09:39 AM.

Images

hi and welcome for your budget you will get a good camera whether it will do all that you want is debatable if you up your budget I would say look at the canon sx40hs. you dont say what size camera you would like.

Hi,

thanks for the replies,

Size wise im not too fused, something medium really, not something too big.

Main features i want are, good quality pics at night, quick fire taking pictures, and that new thing ive seen on tv the "Panoramic pictures" thats cool.

Sooo many out there, and i just havent got a clue, i suppose my budget is flexible, but dont want to go overboard on price. 200-300 possibly.

Cheers

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS looks awesome, but might be bit too expensive for me.

Anything similar but bit cheaper?

Just been looking at these: -

Sony Cyber-shot HX100V
    Sony Alpha A35
    Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR

What you guys think????
    Last edited by pbul2004; 02-03-12 at 12:38 PM.

Default Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V

WDCs sister mag (Amateur Photographer) has just awarded the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Comsumer Compact Camera of the Year... and they should know what they are talking about considering Amateur Photographer is the world's oldest consumer weekly photographic magazine, first hitting the newsstands on October 10 1884 - yes! you read that right! 125 years ago - no wonder I'm proud to be a moderator on the AP site (and here of course!)

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V confirms what I had already thought! - that's why I suggested it in my earlier post

Watch video - http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...es_311549.html

So, what are you waiting for, just geddit and and enjoy lol

Thanks for the suggestion, when you put it like that suppose they cant be wrong lol.

How does that camera compare to the DSLR type camera with bigger zoom etc, such as some of these? Is it worth paying the extra bit to get something like the below: -

Sony Cyber-shot HX100V
    Sony Alpha A35
    Sony DSLR-A200K
    Panasonic Lumix FZ150
    Canon PowerShot SX40 HS

What do you think?

Images

the sx40hs looks to be a really nice camera

Default Bridge cameras

Quote Originally Posted by pbul2004 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, when you put it like that suppose they cant be wrong lol.

How does that camera compare to the DSLR type camera with bigger zoom etc, such as some of these? Is it worth paying the extra bit to get something like the below: -

Sony Cyber-shot HX100V
    Sony Alpha A35
    Sony DSLR-A200K
    Panasonic Lumix FZ150
    Canon PowerShot SX40 HS

What do you think?
    Most of those listed are Bridge cameras which use the same small sensors in the much smaller compacts like the HX9V. So, up to you if you want to cart them around lol.

The Sony Alpha A35 and Sony DSLR-A200K are DSLRs with interchangeable lenses - lots of money for big zooms, but lots of quality too if you're printing to A3 size...

It all comes down to what you want to do with the pics (and your budget). If you print 7"x5", 8"x6", 10"x8", then a small sensor will do. If you want over 10"x8" and close viewing, then a bigger sensor will be better. If you want 6"x4", 5"x3" and web only - use your phone lol

In the end - if you want to take great pics then you need to understand the basics of photography first - your brain does most of the work anyway, a camera is just a tool - all those listed will take a good record shot of a scene

Last edited by Chris Cool; 02-03-12 at 03:45 PM.

I have found a good deal on this camera for 250.

Is it worth getting above the others?

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...dmc_gf3_review

Will this take quality images at night, fast picture taking, HD vid etc?