Talking Another Newbie Help Thread!!

I currently have a Sony Cyber-shot (dsc-w35) which is a fair few years old now. I have always been interested in photography and have taken some nice shots with this camera. However I am due to start a photography course in May and want something a little more professional.

I have been doing some research but still can't make up my mind between a dslr or a csc. I am only 5ft with small hands so the csc leans with me on that side, but I want something that I am not going to 'grow' out of also. There isn't a great deal of difference in price between the entry cameras so it has left me stuck.

Any advice, my budget is around 400, unless there is a great deal out there!! I was advised to avoid cannon, so haven't looked at these in detail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy81 View Post
    I currently have a Sony Cyber-shot (dsc-w35) which is a fair few years old now. I have always been interested in photography and have taken some nice shots with this camera. However I am due to start a photography course in May and want something a little more professional.

I have been doing some research but still can't make up my mind between a dslr or a csc. I am only 5ft with small hands so the csc leans with me on that side, but I want something that I am not going to 'grow' out of also. There isn't a great deal of difference in price between the entry cameras so it has left me stuck.

Any advice, my budget is around 400, unless there is a great deal out there!! I was advised to avoid cannon, so haven't looked at these in detail.
    Hi Lucy81, welcome to wdc! Sorry I can't answer your question as I get confused with all the camera's and lenses that are on the market! I was interested in your last comment about Canon, why were you advised to avoid Canon? hope you don't mind me asking. All the best in your search for a new camera..Caroline

hi lucy

i own Canon DSLR's nothing wrong with them so i dont know why some one as told you to stay away from them. As for CSC vs DSLR is down to you and what level you want to take your photography to i started with a compact camera back in 2006 till 2009 and at times i was banging my head up the wall with not being able to have full control over the camera i had then much different to nowadays i can choose what lens i want to use on my DSLR's I have and i make the decisions of how the images i take turn out not the camera's

hope this is some help

all the best
    russ

Images

hi and welcome if want something that you will not grow out of then I would go with a DSLR and the 2 front runners by far are canon and nikon. thats not to say there is anything wrong with the others makes. I am not sure about csc types from a personnel point my impression on looking at them is they dont focus as quick as a DSLR, but then again i havent tried all of them.
    I would look at upping your budget and look at a canon 550d which you can get from amazon with a 18-55os kit lens for around 465. this is a great camera and you will not out grow it so in the long run you wont be looking ofr an upgrade for years.
    when choosing a DSLR remember you are buying into a system so make sure that system fits your needs both canon and nikon have the largest range of lenses and that includes third party ones too. good luck

Thanks for all the replies.

I was advised against Canon as they are not as robust as other cameras like Nikon. Obviously this is one persons opinion and that why I thought I would throw it out here.
    There does seem a bit of Oasis/Blur rivalry with Canon and Nikon!!

Images

hi you will find that canon and nikon users are passionate but please do not leave out the other makes as it applies to them also.
    I would go to a shop with a good stock and then go and hold the cameras be open minded on brand as you are just starting out. ask yourself is it comfortable are the buttons right for me can i quickly change my settings. think of the wight and adding extra lenses will it still be comfortable. Good luck

Hi I'm a Nikon user and have friends who use Canons, to be honest Canon are every bit as robust as Nikons... Graham

Smile Theres always too many choices

HI Lucy, Canon and Nikon are the market leaders as such because the equipment and lenses are amazing in choice and quality, constantly improving. I am a Canon fan simply because its what I know and what I feel comfortable with (and I would say they are very robust through experience!!). There is a huge market out there of many other makes and they are capable of brilliant results. It does come down to a lot of reading reveiws, looking at websites like this that show you what cameras people are using to get the results and always be prepared to change later on as you get more experience. Good luck and happy picture taking Traci