Default SLR/Lens help for nightclub photography

Hi everyone,

This my first post here, I hoping that you can offer me some advice.

I bought a Sony NEX3 with the larger flash last year as a step up from my compact camera. Since then I have found myself getting into nightclub photography as a few friends run various nights that I attend and take photos at. The Sony has served my pretty well and taught me about using manual setting but I think it about time that I upgraded to an SLR to help me improve my shots.

Im looking to buy secondhand and my budget is around the 700 mark.

At the moment this is what Im currently eying up:

Canon 550D or Canon 400D
    Tamron 17-50/2.8
    Canon 430EX Flash

Ive researched quite a bit but the more I read the more I get confused, a few poeple have recommended Canon over other makes in my budget range as having better sensors but I dont know if this it true or not?

I would be grateful of any advice.

Thanks in advance

Min

Quote Originally Posted by minpud View Post
    Hi everyone,

This my first post here, I hoping that you can offer me some advice.

I bought a Sony NEX3 with the larger flash last year as a step up from my compact camera. Since then I have found myself getting into nightclub photography as a few friends run various nights that I attend and take photos at. The Sony has served my pretty well and taught me about using manual setting but I think it about time that I upgraded to an SLR to help me improve my shots.

Im looking to buy secondhand and my budget is around the 700 mark.

At the moment this is what Im currently eying up:

Canon 550D or Canon 400D
    Tamron 17-50/2.8
    Canon 430EX Flash

Ive researched quite a bit but the more I read the more I get confused, a few poeple have recommended Canon over other makes in my budget range as having better sensors but I dont know if this it true or not?

I would be grateful of any advice.

Thanks in advance

Min
    Hi Minpud. When I was looking to choose my first DSLR, I spent months researching all the tests on the various models and finally settled on the Nikon D300. I took note that the Nikon cameras always seemed to have the edge over other models and so I bought one. That was 4 years ago. I'm still amazed at how brilliant my camera is and the image quality bowls me over. I simply love it to bits and have since bought several different lenses and an off-camera flashgun. I have the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 ultra wide angle lens which is great for cramming lots of people into the shot in a small room. My 18-200mm is great for stage work as it combines a wide angle and a good zoom. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi and welcome if you have gone out and tried these cameras and you are down to these two then I would have to say get the 550d it is a far better camera than the 400d you might want to look at the sigma 17-50 as well.

Images

Hello welcome to the forum
    You should look at the 50mm lens it is a fast lens ideal for low light situations... graham

Thanks for all your replies

Graham when you say that I should look at the 50mm lens are you referring to the Sigma 17-50 that Wave mentioned?

Im still getting my head around lenses, if Im honest understanding which lens is best for which job is a bit confusing at the moment.

The Tamron 17-50/2.8 was recommended by photographer I met as a good starting lens – if this is true or not I don’t know?

I will be buying the lens second hand from either ebay or a camera exchange, looking about I can probably pickup the Tamron 17-50/2.8 for about 260(ish) and the Sigma 17-50/2.8 would be more towards 400(ish).

As with many things the more you spend the better you get, and I would guess this is probably quite apparent with camera lenses? Im sure the sigma is a better lens but I don’t think I could go to 400 for a lens?

As a beginner do you think the Tamron would perform in a dark environment like a nightclub or is my only alternative to go for the more expensive Sigma or another lens?

Thanks again

Images

Hi
    No the Canon 50mm prime lens it is a wee bit faster than the sigma
    This lens is quite cheap around 85... graham
    Last edited by graham_c; 22-02-12 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks Graham, do you mean this lens?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

Images

Hi
    The Tamron and the sigma are both good starter lenses. The 50mm lens is ideal for low light photography . Yes your link is the one i had in mind 50mm 1.8... graham

Hi Minpud

after reading what your looking to get then i would say get the Cannon 550D handles images well in low light when you have to up the ISO ive just brought 2 of them as a upgrade from my 500D

As for lens as graham as put the Cannon 50mm F1.8 Prime is a lovely little lens for the price and every one should own one at some time but like all lens brought for a cropped sensor body you have to x that by 1.6 to get the true mm of the lens so the 50mm on a cropped sensor body's is a 80mm lens so i dont think this is the lens choice for clubs as with a prime you have to walk back or forward to get close ups and you might not have the room to do that so the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 sounds better to have making it a 27mm - 80mm lens

The Canon speed light 430ex ii is a good choice i use one my self another thing to add to it a flash diffuser you can pick them up on ebay to fit the 430 for around 6

And last a tip dont be afford to up the iso when taken images in places like clubs a iso of 800 up to 1600 when used with a flash you cant even tell the iso as been turned up as the flash controls the lighting up of the people remember that iso controls the ambient light around so when its turned up you can get a much more balanced images not to bright but not to dark and if you shoot in raw formate you can all ways have total control later in post with using software like Adobe Lightroom to get them looking just how you want them

hope this helps you out

All the best Russ

Images

this is a shot of a group getting ready taken with a sigma 17-70os and a nissin di622 iso 400
    Attached Images Attached Images