Hybrid View

Default First DSLR camera choices

Good evening,

I'm new to the forum and am seeking advice on my first DSLR camera. I currently own a Pentax Spotmatic SLR from circa 1968 though haven't used it for a few years and this has a variety of lenses including a macro lens and a 200mm telephoto lens.

I'm looking at the Canon EOS 550D and have seen a kit available on Buyacamera.com which comes with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS f3.5-5.6 II lens and a Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS f4-5.6 lens. The kit is just under 600 and although I've read some good reviews of the body, I have no idea if the lenses included in the kit are any good.

Would this kit make a good first buy or should I just get the 18-55mm lens and upgrade later? I am open to other suggestions of course so if anyone can shed some light on this, it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Julian

Hi, the 18-55mm IS f3.5-5.6 II lens is pretty good for a kit lens and well worth getting. Due to the http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...tiplier_01.htm the 18-55mm has to be multiplied by 1.6. So it becomes a 28.8mm-88mm lens.

With regards the longer lens. You may want to save the money and put it towards a Sigma lens of your choice. Have a look at Sigma prices on the same site and do some research.

If you want to download the manual http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...uresAndManuals Note: the 550D is also known as the Rebel t2i

Also, post processing is an important part of photography and should be used to sharpen and enhance pictures taken with your camera. If you don't have an imaging editor, then use the one in my signature below. There are 32 video tutorials to get you started.

Cheers!

Images

Hi and welcome you wont be disappointed with the 550d and as said above the 18-55 is a good kit lens. The 55-250is is also a good buy it punches well above its weight in the image stakes its only down fall is its built to a price. good luck

Many thanks for the advice guys, it's greatly appreciated.

I've just taken delivery of my EOS 550D and am very happy with it as it is, though I've not had a proper chance to play with it just yet.

I'm heading to San Francisco on holiday in the summer and will be doing a lot of landscape photography whilst I am there so I am looking for a lens suitable for the purpose. I'm not sure of a budget just yet but am trying to keep it to a reasonable cost if possible. Can someone recommend a suitable lens please?

Regards,

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by jrduquemin View Post
    I've just taken delivery of my EOS 550D and am very happy with it as it is, though I've not had a proper chance to play with it just yet.

I'm heading to San Francisco on holiday in the summer and will be doing a lot of landscape photography whilst I am there so I am looking for a lens suitable for the purpose. I'm not sure of a budget just yet but am trying to keep it to a reasonable cost if possible. Can someone recommend a suitable lens please?

Regards,

Julian
    Did you buy it with the kit lens? If so the 18mm -55mm lens is a 28.8mm-88mm (equivalent film lens) which is not bad for landscapes. If you want to go wider, then I would recommend the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens - Canon Fit at around 389, giving you a 16mm-32mm zoom (equivalent film lens), which should cover all wide situations http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...n-fit/p1007710 Worth testing it out on architecture as soon as you get it to make sure you have a good one.

Cheers!

Just set the shutter speed to what you can hand hold. That can be anything around 125. There should be plenty of light so speeds of 250 and over should be possible :-D
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 25-02-12 at 06:34 PM.

I forgot to say that I always use the 2 second timer for landscapes - stops the slight shake when pressing the shutter button. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by jrduquemin View Post
    a kit available on Buyacamera.com which comes with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS f3.5-5.6 II lens and a Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS f4-5.6 lens.
    Hi, I was just wondering whether you did get your camera from buyacamera.com and whether you could tell me about the service. I'm also very interested to know if your camera is a UK model and arrived in proper unopened Canon packing.

Thank you for your help

Hi, I didn't buy my camera from buyacamera in the end. I eventually purchased my camera from Amazon instead.