Default Camera choice for relative beginner - help appreciated!

Hi

I am looking to buy my first non-compact digital camera.

I think a bridge camera is the best option for me as it will improve my photography knowledge and the quality of my images, while not confusing me (as a DSLR may do at this stage). I am interested in photography and may well, one day, look to own (an understand) a DSLR but don't think I'm ready for one yet.

Any recommendations for a simple to use bridge camera with the option/functionality to learn manual settings if you choose?

I notice bridge cameras are available between 200 and 400 (broadly) - is there a big diiference (that a relative beginner could notice) between a (for example) Panasonic DMC FZ-48 and a Panasonice DMC FZ150?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Greetings,

Most folks get hung up on the zoom range especially on the tele-end. I would recommend semi-wide wide to tele-zoom, with image stabilization, and a bright LCD screen. Look at Olympus SZ-31MR iHS. It's a newest bridge camera from Olympus. Model number may vary from the USA model number. You may want to read more about it at:
    http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/02...pact-superzoom

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Wijohnson85 View Post
    Hi

I am looking to buy my first non-compact digital camera.

I think a bridge camera is the best option for me as it will improve my photography knowledge and the quality of my images, while not confusing me (as a DSLR may do at this stage). I am interested in photography and may well, one day, look to own (an understand) a DSLR but don't think I'm ready for one yet.

Any recommendations for a simple to use bridge camera with the option/functionality to learn manual settings if you choose?

I notice bridge cameras are available between 200 and 400 (broadly) - is there a big diiference (that a relative beginner could notice) between a (for example) Panasonic DMC FZ-48 and a Panasonice DMC FZ150?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Hi, I think that you will find using a bridge camera not much different from a DSLR and many offer the same functions. I have both types of camera, and what you can be reassured by is that most cameras have an 'AUTO' function which means that all you need to do is to point the camera, compose your subject and press the shutter release. The AUTO function will select the appropriate settings for the conditions and the rest is up to you. The camera's AUTOFOCUS system will focus it for you so really it's quite simple. Any instruction booklet that comes with a camera will show how to use it in all its modes, no worries. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi and welcome it will help to know what you take pictures of

Hi

Thanks for the help so far. It is mainly for holiday snaps but I particularly like taking pictures of the landscape (lack of zoom has clearly been issue for this in the past) and would clearly use it for day-to-day capturing of photoenic weather/cloud formations etc...

Hope that helps - if there is any other information I should give people to help give advice then please shout.

Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wijohnson85 View Post
    Hi

Thanks for the help so far. It is mainly for holiday snaps but I particularly like taking pictures of the landscape (lack of zoom has clearly been issue for this in the past) and would clearly use it for day-to-day capturing of photoenic weather/cloud formations etc...

Hope that helps - if there is any other information I should give people to help give advice then please shout.

Thanks
    Hi Wijohnson85, I have a Panasonic FZ100 Bridge camera, I am very pleased with it, if you go into the gallery and take a look at my images it will give you some idea of the quality of the Panasonic FZ100, hope this helps..Caroline

Images

hi again The fz100 gives a great zoom range and is a very nice camera also look at a canon sx40 but this is at the top end of your budget. but as said earlier a bridge will give you manual control like a DSLR. so you are back to whether or not to get a DSLR. or a more compact EVIL. I would go to some where like Jessops or Curry's and try a few see how they feel. Good luck