Default Blurred images on Nikon Coolpix S5100

Each time I take a picture without flash and where the subject may move say their arm, the arm is blurred. I've tried changing settings, however, nothing seems to address the problem, Surely it's not too much to ask of this model! If I set the camera to "Party," images are not blurred, but I cannot switch off the flash, which is what I want to do. Can anyone suggest appropriate settings?

Images

Hi and welcome to stop blurring you need to have a faster shutter speed to do this you need to either open the up the lens ie use a small f number or increase the sensitivity of the sensor use a higher ISO or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
    Each time I take a picture without flash and where the subject may move say their arm, the arm is blurred. I've tried changing settings, however, nothing seems to address the problem, Surely it's not too much to ask of this model! If I set the camera to "Party," images are not blurred, but I cannot switch off the flash, which is what I want to do. Can anyone suggest appropriate settings?
    Hi It appears that your camera doesn't have any Manual Mode settings so look for any of the programmes that will give you a fast shutter speed of at least 125/second. Blurred photos are the result of using a slow shutter speed, or the photographer moving the camera while taking the shot. Try this; just before pressing the shutter hold your breath and try to keep the camera very still, I still do this after 50 years of taking pictures and using a DSLR. As Wave suggested, if you can't select a high shutter speed then change the ISO setting to 400, if that's insufficient try 800 and so on. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012