Thread: Filters

Default Filters

I have just bought a Fuji hs20exr for my xmas present to me. I was looking to buy a set of three filters,UV, Polarizer and Flourescent, can some one explian them to me. I know the polarizer will reduce reflexions in water and glass etc, however on the reviews some are saying they have the UV attached perminant to protect the lens. Is this right ?

Thanks

Charles

Images

Hi lets look at the polariser first it is to reduce things like glare best works with the sun at 90 degrees to it the uv does what it says stops uv some people keep them on all the time but it depends on the quality of the filter. its not worth putting cheap glass in front of an expensive lens. what make did you buy

Default Filters

I have not bought them yet, they are for sale through Amazon and have very good reviews, they are Zeikos ZE-FLK 58mm set of three .

Thanks

Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I have not bought them yet, they are for sale through Amazon and have very good reviews, they are Zeikos ZE-FLK 58mm set of three .

Thanks

Charles
    Hi Charles. The advice that most magazines offer when buying a polariser is to only buy the CIRCULAR POLARISER. Hope this helps. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Images

Hi looked at these on amazon all I can say is I use hoya or sigma filters i would check those out as i said before if you have expensive lens then dont put cheap glass in front of it.

Images

Hi Charles
    I just googled these filters. For the money they might do a turn, when it comes to filters especially polarisers you want a really good ones i use Hoya HD polarisers & Tiffen uv filters... Graham

While we can't really comment on the quality of these filters, if it was our money, we'd look at a more established brand such as Hoya, Tiffen or B+W. They're established brands with a proven track record, being both thinner and we expect, optically better too.

Of the three filters you've mentioned, there's actually no need for a fluorescent filter with a digital camera, such as your HS20. This is because your camera has a range of white balance presets that includes fluorescent, so under those lighting conditions, the camera will correct for the greenish cast that fluorescent light emit.

A UV filter actually has limited effect on the look of your image - it will reduce the haze, but it does offer your lens protection. With it screwed to the front of your lens, it'll protect it from scratches and knocks. It's far better if your inexpensive filter is scratched rather than your expensive lens.

Finally, a polariser limits which waves of light enter the camera. Reflections from non-metallic surfaces such as water or glass are reduced dramatically, while it also boosts the saturation of the image - it works really well on a blue sky. You'll need a circular rather than linear polariser, as your cameras AF can experience problems with a linear structure.

A 58mm UV filter will set you back around 15, while an affordable polariser will be about 30 - though you can spend a lot more.

Hope that helps.

Thats Great Phil, I will go for as you say a recognised brand UV filter and see how I get on with that first

Thanks

Charles