Hybrid View

Default Sigma 30mm focus question

I have just received a Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens and am about to test it before the returns deadline. I notice I can keep on turning the focus ring even when it's got to either end of the focus range. All my other lenses only allow me to turn it for the focal range. is this normal or is there a problem with this lens?

Quote Originally Posted by jedy View Post
    I have just received a Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens and am about to test it before the returns deadline. I notice I can keep on turning the focus ring even when it's got to either end of the focus range. All my other lenses only allow me to turn it for the focal range. is this normal or is there a problem with this lens?
    Hi Jedy. I've got 3 Sigma lenses, the 120-400mm, the 70mm macro, and the 10-20mm f3.5.
    The 70mm macro has no focusing ring but the other two have, and it's possible to still turn them after they reach each end of the range. I can feel a slight resistance at the end but the ring can be still be turned for ever more. You should be able to feel a slight click with minimum resistance. My lenses are now 2 years old and are brilliant. Hope this helps, all the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012