Default What compact digital camera should I get?

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me. I have looked a compact digital cameras and I have no idea which is best for me, which brand is most reliable?
    My budget is 100 - 200, I am after:
    - It being compact - good for travelling when I go inter-railing around Europe in the Summer Holidays - Would a wide lens be useful for self taking photos of me and a friend around Europe?
    - It can record good HD video - perhaps slow motion capture
    - Takes good photos whatever - reliable
    - Takes SD card
    - The 'Smart Auto' system sounds quite good as well.

Many thanks,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackgb View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if you could help me. I have looked a compact digital cameras and I have no idea which is best for me, which brand is most reliable?
    My budget is 100 - 200, I am after:
    - It being compact - good for travelling when I go inter-railing around Europe in the Summer Holidays - Would a wide lens be useful for self taking photos of me and a friend around Europe?
    - It can record good HD video - perhaps slow motion capture
    - Takes good photos whatever - reliable
    - Takes SD card
    - The 'Smart Auto' system sounds quite good as well.

Many thanks,

Jack
    I have 2 Fujifilm cameras , and I have found them to be totally reliable over many years. In fact my oldest one was my first ever digital camera, still works great too. So for me this brand is ok. Looking at the modern cameras, if I was buying one at your budget range, I would go for the Fujifilm S2800HD. Google it and look at the spec for yourself and see if it has what you need. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion Canismajor but I am looking for one that is pocket sized so convenient when travelling.

Is Canon a reliable brand - What is the difference between ixus and powershot?

Thanks,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackgb View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Canismajor but I am looking for one that is pocket sized so convenient when travelling.

Is Canon a reliable brand - What is the difference between ixus and powershot?

Thanks,

Jack
    If you Google the words canon ixus cameras and then canon powershot cameras, you'll see that there doesn't appear to be much difference in them, a few of the powershot models do resemble some Bridge cameras or even a small DSLR camera, (Digital Single Lens Reflex ). When you see a model that suits you then click on it and look at the spec. I'd be looking for Image Stabilisation, a decent zoom and wide angle, a good ISO range, a good flash range, maybe manual settings options too. If you find one and need further advice the folk on here will help. The Canon range is a well known one and many prefer them to other brands. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Default Panasonic Lumix TZ20

Canon make fine compacts but if you want a bit more reach then have a look at the Panasonic TZ range.

I travel with the Panasonic TZ7 but it's now up to TZ20 - http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...20-review.html I use both stills and video - just perfick!
    Google for best prices - http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...highlight=zoom Has IA Intelligent Auto that works out what the scene is you're looking at and exposes correctly - very clever!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Chris Cool; 07-02-12 at 03:33 PM.