Images

Default Which ILC/CSC or whatever they are called!?

I am currently thinking of pulling the trigger on the sony nex 5N. However before I do so I am just wondering if there is another camera out there that would be as good in the same price bracket (bearing in mind that I can get a new one with two lenses for about 600 from Jacobs).

Anyway, what I want is :

- flip screen
    - good controls (which the sony does NOT have)
    - excellent image quality even at high iso's (up to and including 1600)
    - decent battery life
    - built in HDR and perhaps panorama feature (though wouldnt call these deal breakers)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Images

I am now also considering the Panasonic GX1.

Anyone have either or any input?

What lenses can I consider for panasonic and the sony?

hi herc

whats wrong with your other body's your Nikon D80 & D700 to want a CSC one ?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    I am currently thinking of pulling the trigger on the sony nex 5N. However before I do so I am just wondering if there is another camera out there that would be as good in the same price bracket (bearing in mind that I can get a new one with two lenses for about 600 from Jacobs).

Anyway, what I want is :

- flip screen
    - good controls (which the sony does NOT have)
    - excellent image quality even at high iso's (up to and including 1600)
    - decent battery life
    - built in HDR and perhaps panorama feature (though wouldnt call these deal breakers)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Hi herc, I am researching CSCs and I don't think the GX1 has a flip screen, apologies if I am wrong, the Lumix G3 has an excellent write up and awards, there are so many on the market as always it's down to personal choice, hope this helps, happy research!..Caroline

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Photography & Prod View Post
    hi herc

whats wrong with your other body's your Nikon D80 & D700 to want a CSC one ?
    Very good question. Basically I am thinking of moving to CSC altogether. If successful I would sell the other cameras - or perhaps retain the D700 with 85mm f1.4.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    Hi herc, I am researching CSCs and I don't think the GX1 has a flip screen, apologies if I am wrong, the Lumix G3 has an excellent write up and awards, there are so many on the market as always it's down to personal choice, hope this helps, happy research!..Caroline
    You are right. I think the GX1 has more lenses available to it over the sony camera which may be more appealing.

Anyone know of the sony lenses if they are any good?

If you're looking for a camera to consider along side the NEX-5N, then the Panasonic LUMIX GX1 is definitely worth considering.

The results from the smaller Micro FourThirds 16MP sensor might not be able to match those from the 5N's 16MP APS-C sensor, but it delivers a very solid performance. It's worth bearing in mind though that results above ISO 1600 to soften and break down detail more noticeably than results from the 5N.

The battery life for both cameras is pretty similar, but you will notice you'll need to recharge the battery on either camera more regularly than those used by your Nikon DSLRs

There's no flip out-screen either, but an excellent touch screen with touch-focus and touch-shutter. It may sound a bit of a gimmick, but it does work.

What really sets the GX1 apart from the 5N is the handling and controls. It's a much more photographer orientated camera, with quick access controls and a mode dial on the body. Its also has the nicer feel and balance thanks to the more compact/smaller lenses.

If image quality is your main priority, get the NEX-5N - though avoid the 16mm pancake lens which can be quite soft at the edges. The GX1, with its wide selection of Panasonic and Olympus glass, is the better all-round proposition thanks to the more user-friendly interface, quality feel and balance.