Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I sell my DSLR for a CSC?

Hi there

I've had a DSLR Nikon D60 for the past few years. It's my first DSLR and I'm really happy with it. I've done an advanced course at night school and I'm really comfortable using it. The only downsize is, erm, it's size. Quite often I'll leave it at home because it's bulky and heavy. Apart from the photos I took for my course, my pics are mainly family and travel.

I'm wondering whether to sell it and buy a CSC? Something that I could carry around with me all the time. Will I regret it? I appreciate your thoughts x

Images

Hi Lana welcome to the forum.
    I also have have a D60 when i went to upgrade it i tried to sell it both privately and as a tradein, and was offered coppers for it. Their was nothing wrong with the camera ( still is'nt) If you can i would keep the D60 and get a CSC.Hope this helps ... Graham

hi lana

may i ask what size lens you use with your D60 as i don't use Nikon myself but looking at the D60 & my Canon 500D, 550D they look much the same in size so if even fitted with a kit lens of 18 to 55mm or a 50mm lens i cant get how it would make your D60 bulky or heavy. they become more heavy with a bigger lens fitted and bulky if you fitted a battery grip

But going back to your question i think you would miss your D60 if you sold it for a CSC
    like you have said your comfortable using it and after taken your course if it was me i would now get out there and put all the things learned in to practice and the money your thinking about spending on a CSC spend it other things for your photography say a new lens or a flash etc etc

hope this i some help all the best

russ

Many thanks for your help both, really appreciate it.

Russ, I have a couple of lenses but if I'm just out for the day, say sightseeing with the kids, I use the 18-55 kit lens. Whilst not exactly *heavy* I just find that you know you're carrying a camera, if you see what I mean! Perhaps it's just me but after a day of it around my neck I long for something more compact.

Quite often I'll leave it at home too, I think carrying a DSLR around with you on the off-chance is a big commitment. If I could pop something in my bag, just in case, i'd take a lot more photos. The camera isn't exactly inconspicuous either, sometimes it doesn't feel appropriate for all situations. I hope I'm making sense.

Graham, you're right. I'm not going to get much for it and i'm so happy with it, it would be a shame. I think I will look at a CSC or a compact as an additional "everyday" camera.

Thank you

hi lana

i understand what your saying have you thought of getting a different strap for your DSLR one were its down by your side and not round the neck that way you might not feel it as you said about carrying it around all day but still have it to take images when you see some thing you like.My self if i'm going out any were & i think i'm going to get a chance of taken some good images i don't care what other people around me think of me standing there with a DSLR in my hands at the price a DSLR is and the lens we add on them as long as i'm not in there way or taken images of things i'm not allowed to take then ill stand there taken images why buy some thing pay to learn how to use it to worry about what other people may think around you id not let that worry you lana

I think you have done well by going on the advanced course but feel you might be throwing away all you have learned with using a compact as like most people i started out with a compact but it would frustrate me later once i got the images taken with it back on pc as not being able to have total control of the images i was taking nowadays if i get it wrong i cant blame the DSLR i only have my self to blame

hope this helps you out some more
    all the best russ

Quote Originally Posted by lana View Post
    Hi there

I've had a DSLR Nikon D60 for the past few years. It's my first DSLR and I'm really happy with it. I've done an advanced course at night school and I'm really comfortable using it. The only downsize is, erm, it's size. Quite often I'll leave it at home because it's bulky and heavy. Apart from the photos I took for my course, my pics are mainly family and travel.

I'm wondering whether to sell it and buy a CSC? Something that I could carry around with me all the time. Will I regret it? I appreciate your thoughts x
    Hi Lana. A CSC would certainly be lightweight and unobtrusive to carry around, and looking at the spec, they do seem to be well specified so your knowledge gained on your course would be very handy. The Panasonic GX1 can use 14 different lenses for example, and yet remains lightwight, and as your subjects will be family and travel a CSC should be more than adequate and give excellent results. Some have sensors up to 20mp so image quality should be brilliant. The downside is the price, the GX1 costs over 700. My camera bag weighs very heavy and after 15 mins feels like a ton. Thats the downside of buying all the gear for a DSLR.
    I wish you all the best in making a sensible decision.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012

Default Slight different suggestion:)

Lana,
    As they say, the best camera is the camera that you keep with you all the time. I have both systems Nikon 5100, and Panasonic GX3. Panasonic, although lighter are no "pocket-able" system. What I am going to suggest is going to sound bizarre but give it a try. Have you considered getting/upgrading your Smartphone? I constantly reach out for my iphone 4S. Another advantage I like is to able to upload the images to cloud storage or facebook (if you prefer). There are other smartphones that have even better cameras. If size/weight is the prime concern, I would just buy newer Nikon V1 system and keep Nikon D60 for special assignments or when weight/bulge of the camera is not a consideration. Hope this helps. My first post on WDC, sorry for the longer than usual post. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by lana View Post
    Hi there

Images

Hi I think this is very hard to answer let alone give advice. I started of with SLR film then due to life went away and had smaller cameras. I have now gone back to a DSLR and I just look back a the shots I could have taken better.

Thanks so much for the help everyone. I've made up my mind!

Keeping the DSLR because I love it, have loads of kit, have studied it and I'm looking forward to using it lots more. I am going to look at a different strap (thanks Russ, hadn't thought of that).

SPPassion, as you said the best camera is the one you have with you. I'm going to get a CSC this weekend and it will be in my handbag always, just in case. I'll take a look at the Panasonics, thanks for the suggestions. I also like the look of the Olympus range and the Nikon J1 could be fun and a bit bonkers.

Wave, I won't beat myself up too much about taking better pics with DSLR. I've learned my lesson! Left camera at home at a Duran Duran gig, thought it would cramp my style. iPhone dead from keeping in touch with friends travelling from all over that evening. We only managed to get backstage! I had a hug and kiss from Simon Le Bon and a "Hi how are you?" from John Taylor. I will never forgive myself. My friends said "but you always have your camera!" Everyone relies on me you see, it's a big responsibility!

I just remembered that the famous landscape photographer, Charlie Waite, has done what I thought was unthinkable for him, he now uses a compact and I think it was one of the Leica models. He remarked that it sits nicely in the pocket and is always there for that quick 'grab shot' should one present itself. Just a thought.!!! All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012