Hybrid View

Default FujiFilm HS20 EXR

Why when i set to the lowest settings ie. S 16.9 normal pixel, when viewing the pics on a PC the pictures are sharper with less noise than taken on the higher fine settings?, its as though the camera is working back to front and cant handle all the extra information?. Anyone else out there found this or have i just bought a duff camera?

I would suggest that viewing a "Small" image on screen, at 100%, would appear to give you sharper images, but less detail. Try printing the image at A4 size, and compare it with an image taken at "Large" resolution on the camera - you should see that the image taken at Large size will be much more detailed than one taken at Small size. Looking at an image on screen can give the wrong impression. A Small size image at 16:9 on the HS20 is 1920 x 1080 pixels (just over 2 megapixels) - you can check this in your editing program by going to Image Size - and a Large size image at 16:9 would be 4608 x 2592 pixels (just under 12 megapixels), so the Large size image, when printed, should show more detail than the Small size image printed to the same size. But because they are shown on screen at different percentages of the true size, they may look different.

I do not know what image editing program you are using, but in Photoshop and Elements, try to ensure that the percentage size shown on the top of the screen is in the range 12.5%, 25%, 50% or 100%, as intermediate percentages sometimes make the image look unsharp.

Hope this helps and that I have not rambled too much.

Thanks for the reply Roy, I understand what your saying in the printing aspect that at A4 size would show more detail on higher camera settings,but like most people i view my own pics and all others on the PC, is it that the pics i am viewing on this website have all been worked on?, cos they all seem so much sharper than any of mine when i set to the higher pixel settings. Please ramble more Roy, not getting many replys to this!. Thanks.

The pictures you see on websites are invariably quite small, usually about 1024 x 768 pixels at 72 pixels per inch. These would show at full size (100%) on a 16:9 monitor. If you are only ever going to view your pictures on a monitor, and never print them, there is not much point in using a high megapixel camera.

What program do you use to work on your pictures? And do you do ANYTHING at all to your pictures, or just view them as they come out of the camera? The reason for the second question is that no digital camera can take pictures that appear "correct" straight out of the camera - you have to do a little bit of work on them, not very much normally, but applying the Levels tool, adjusting the Saturation, and applying a little bit of sharpening using Unsharp Mask (75 Amount/1.5 Radius/5 Threshold being the settings I use in Photoshop or Elements) usually improve the look of the pictures.

I also find that using Picasa (free from Google) to make automatic adjustments usually works quite well.

Well Roy, tried everything you said and more with every available setting that godforsaken camera has but still could not get the picture quality right, but hey! problem solved! i now have my hands on a Canon 1100D with superior results. Thanks for listening Roy.

Default Shoulder Support

Cine Ultima provides a range of camera and film production equipment, accessories of digital cameras, dslr kits, camera dolly, linear slider, follow focus, pan and tilt head, flycam, proaim and various other essentials to sell them strictly online in cost effective prices. for more detail please visit us at cineultima.com
    -------------------------------------
    Shoulder Support