Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For any of you that might have been interested I went against all the better judgement and got the Pentax Q.

I have to say after a couple of months now I have absolutely no regrets, I've been having great fun snapping away and playing with the settings.

Although it wasn't one of my requirements I'm also really happy about the compact size of it. Classy looks, but can be hung on neck and zipped under a jacket.

Maybe when I've got a minute I might write a mini review...

David

Smile Nice to hear from you, David

Thanks for letting us know about the outcome - I am sure you made the best decision - still loving my Q.

Default Opinion about the Pentax Q

I'm probably bringing a post back from the dead, I don't even know if I'll be getting any answers but I found this link searching precisely for an opinion about the Pentax Q.. Do you regret buying it? I found it some time ago and I instantaneously fell in love but I'm afraid of buying it so long after it was released. I also found the fujifilm x10 today but I do still prefer the looks of the Pentax Q, and it just barely fits in the budget I have left for a new digital camera. I have a pentax optio rs1000 and its pictures are not completely terrible, but they're just not good enough, I'm afraid I'm going for the looks too much just like when I bought my current pentax camera! (I'm sorry about the terrible english translation).

Quote Originally Posted by Rebenny View Post
    I'm probably bringing a post back from the dead, I don't even know if I'll be getting any answers but I found this link searching precisely for an opinion about the Pentax Q.. Do you regret buying it? I found it some time ago and I instantaneously fell in love but I'm afraid of buying it so long after it was released. I also found the fujifilm x10 today but I do still prefer the looks of the Pentax Q, and it just barely fits in the budget I have left for a new digital camera. I have a pentax optio rs1000 and its pictures are not completely terrible, but they're just not good enough, I'm afraid I'm going for the looks too much just like when I bought my current pentax camera! (I'm sorry about the terrible english translation).
    I had a serious look at the original Q some time ago, when they were virtually giving the bodies away for, istr, 80. The lenses are not dirt cheap though and a lot of them are, what they call, toy lenses. As I understand it that means that they are prone to distortion and vignetting and other maladies. Along with the compact camera size sensor and the need for several lenses, it made my mind up that there was little or no advantage compared to having an advanced travel-zoom camera.
    There have been two versions of Q cameras since then of course, the latest having a slightly larger sensor.

Don't let me put you off though. As far as I know, the people who use the Q are generally quite satisfied with it. You should not expect it to perform like a bigger mirrorless or DSLR though, especially in poor quality light. As long as you don't expect miracles, you should be fine with it.

Personally I would have the X10 any day of the week. Indeed I bought an X20 in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebenny View Post
    Hi Rebenny.

As I was asked when I questioned getting a Pentax Q on here...it depends what you want it for and what you want to do with it.

In answer to your question "do I regret buying it", no not at all, I love my Q and would NOT go back in time and change it if I could. The other camera I was looking at at the time was the X10, and I sitll keep a look out for the original on eBay.

For a compact camera that looks great, is (very) compact and will take decent images (better then a standard compact I believe...?) then Q is fine. Obviously as I mentioend it depends what you want to do with it. If you want to take pictures of targets 10's of metres away then this is not for you. Howver if you want a small classy camera to take with you on city visits to take close profile shots of friends then I would say go with the Q in a heartbeat.

I do not know what the Q7 and Q10 are like, I understand they have improved over the original however...I do not think they look as good as the original Q, but that's just my opinion.

I am by no means a pro so I can't really say I know a lot about cameras, and I have no experience with using lots of varied cameras to compare one against the other.

I'll see if I can put a few pics up that I have taken so you can see what it is all about.

Like I said, it depends entirely on how you plan to use the camera!

I hope this post helps, I have rambled on a bit!

p.s. a few times when I am out with my Q, if it rains I can just zip it under my jacket and you wouldn't know it was there, so compact!
    p.p.s I have been to 6 weddings since I bought the Q and at each one it has caused quite a stir and provoked a lot of interest! Needless to say it has great looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Williams View Post
    You should not expect it to perform like a bigger mirrorless or DSLR though, especially in poor quality light. As long as you don't expect miracles, you should be fine with it.
    Exactly this.