Default Canon ixus 220hs vs panasonic fx550

Hi Guys and Gals

Bit of a noob here I'm afraid when it comes to cameras but basically looking to buy a fairly decent compact for holiday snaps and nights out on the town ect...

Have narrowed it down to the Canaon ixus220hs and panasonic fx550 based on reviews and now similar price ( not much over a ton for either of them - bargain)

Any extra advice would be much appreciated to help me decide!
    Many thanks.

Dave.

Dave
    I had a similar dilema recently and went into Jacobs yesterday to try and sort out which would best suit what I needed. I came out with the Canon Ixus 220. I tried all sorts of compacts and even the more expensive 400 G12 didn't give me the results on close ups that I was looking for.
    I haven't used it much as yet but delighted with the few photos I have taken. (photographing handmade lace, to the point where you can see individual threads)
    My tip would be go into a camera shop near you and ask to try both of them out.
    (If you can get someone to have their photo taken with both of them, even better)
    Jacobs were brilliant, printing out the results from about 6 cameras for me to compare, and nothing touched the results of this little Canon. But it does depend on what you are looking for.
    If you are looking to take many landscape shots then the zoom might be a bit limiting as it is only a short zoom, but for close ups it is fantastic.
    Hope that helps,
    Louise

Hi Louise

Thanks for the advice, I'm having trouble finding the Panasonic in the shops now as its an old model.
    But it would be a good idea to have a play with the cannon to see if i get along with it and compare it to some others.

Many thanks again.
    Dave.