Default Buying advise needed for a beginner

Hi all,

I'm new to SLR cameras but love photography and think it's about time i upgraded. But I am completely confused with all the makes and models

I currently use a compact Fujifilm Finepix J100, which is a nice camera but not quite giving me the results i want and is definiatley not fast enough at taking pictures!

I looking for a good beginners camera which isn't going to cost me a fortune ( i have about 300 to spend) Not sure if there is anything within that price range that would be suitable.

Edit: I'm looking for a camera that has a fast burst mode/frame rate and good in low light conditions

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreicated.

Many Thanks in advance

Hayles21
    Last edited by hayles21; 27-12-11 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added something

Images

hi and welcome first question is what do you shoot. next I am the bringer of bad news i think you are going to have to up your budget. looking at your post then I would be looking at a canon 550d or nikon d5100 and they are above your budget. I would save some more

I shoot mainly landscapes and pictures of my young son.

Was thinking of maybe a bridge camera, is it worth buying one? I'm looking at the Fuji S4080, is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by hayles21 View Post
    I shoot mainly landscapes and pictures of my young son.

Was thinking of maybe a bridge camera, is it worth buying one? I'm looking at the Fuji S4080, is it any good?
    Hi, to avoid disappointment I would only be considering a DSLR, because the main problem with other types of cameras is shutter lag. You are already familiar with this as you say that your own camera is not fast enough. Believe me you would not be disappointed if you saved a bit more in order to buy a DSLR, I've found that with cameras you skimp at your own downfall. I'm still as thrilled at what my camera turns out as the day I bought it 3 years ago, and I would advise anyone who seeks to upgrade to consider a DSLR in order to avoid being sorry later. Or, as some will say, it's horses for courses. All the best.
    Humility is an endearing quality and gains many friends, whereas arrogance loses them. Mike, 2012