Images

Default Wide-angle lens for Nikon D90

Hi there,

I am looking for a wide-angle lens for my Nikon D90. I currently have the kit lens (18-105) and generally find it a good, capable zoom, but often find that I can't fit enough in the frame at times, which can be very annoying. Therefore, I need a wide-angle. I want to take mainly landscape photos. I am also interested in low-light shots, mainly in urban areas but rural if I can get the chance. Architecture would be a minor interest and I have very little interest in wide-angle portraits.

From research, I have narrowed it down to the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 and the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. I know WDC loved the Sigma with a 95% score. And people seem to love the Sigma with the HSM and image quality. On the other hand, the Tokina has excellent build quality (metal) as opposed to the plastic of the Sigma, and an f/2.8 aperture as well as great images. However, I heard somewhere the Tokina is not really a landscape lens (which is I want it for), but rather for low light
    and architecture. Which makes me lean to the Sigma. The limited zoom range of the Tokina would not bother me as I will be using it at it's widest most of the time.

I want to spend between 500 and 600. Anyway, my question is what lens others would recommend? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am really stuck and keen to hear what others think.

Thanks,
    Conor.

Images

Hi Conor
    Like you i have a Nikon d90 and i use a sigma 10-20 wide angle and have to say i have no complaints the image quality is excellent with it. You could also look at the sigma 8- 16mm wide angle ... Hope this helps... graham