Default new lens for canon 550 advice

I got myself the canon 550 back in May and have the 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. I take quite a lot photos at dogs shows etc and have found that im needed to swap the lenses quite a bit so thought I should look at getting another one. Im thinking of somthing with a range of around down at the 18mm end and up to 200mm ish but have no idea what is good. also im wondering if I should pay more attention to ones with lower F number as light at some shows can be quite poor. Should I look at the EF range as when I do get a new body I would probably got for a full frame one. Any ideas?

Lee

hi ltodd2

first off all comes down to how much you have to spend on a lens the better the lens the more money you will pay but you any get what you pay for i started out with the kit lens and a Tamron 70 - 300mm lens back in 2009 and taken some great shots with both lens since then ive not long brought a sigma 70 - 200mm f2.8 great for working in low light it now sits on my canon EOS500D more then any of my other 5 lens i own
    so if you can afford to buy better quality glass do m8 you have a great DSLR as ive just up graded my DSLR'S to 2 model's like you have the 500D

hope this helps you out some its just as hard when looking for lens as camera body's

all the best
    Russ

Images

How close are you to the shots you want to take. IMHO a one lens fits all is not the way to go, do you use flash or is it not allowed.

wave

Flash is not realy allowed. Distance can be a few meters upto 20. I know that a one lense for all will never work but thought I may find somthing along the lines im after for these kind of shots and get more didicated ones in the futrure when money allows.

Lee

Images

there are 18-250 lenses from both sigma and tamron but both have f3.5 limit so IMHO you gain nothing the 55-250 is the same. to go to a canon L series lens with f2.8 is a big jump in price they start at 70 -200. I used my sigma 17-70os over the christmas period to take some shoots of the family ice skating and it worked very well as did my 55-250 but i did have my iso up to 1600 and no flash. I would say go try the sigma 17-70 and the canon 15-85 it may just fit your needs with only the occasional lens change. then save for a canon Lseries