Default Nikon Lens Confusion

Can you please explain Nikon lens types and help me with identifying lenses that are compatible with my old Nikon D50 camera?

As I understand it the D50 and other cameras of its vintage had an AF motor in the camera body. When the D40 came out Nikon removed the camera body motor and fitted the motor in the lens. This has been carried on into the newer cameras so I assume new lenses will not work with the D50.

The D50 lens supplied with the camera is a Type G AF-S DX ED which, according to the web has a 'silent wave' motor in the lens, so presumeably can be used with the newer D40 type camera. Does this mean that all modern Nikon lenses can be used with the D50? Can the D50 use lenses with the AF motor in the lens?

I'm totally confused so any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Marv

hi Marv

best for you to post this again in Nikon Chat im sure theses someone who uses a Nikon system that will help you with what you need to find out

all the best

russ

Thanks Russ. I'll give that a try.

Marv

Hi Marv
    All AFS lenses will work on your d50. I have a d90 with a built in AF motor and AFS lenses work on it with out any problem.... Graham