Default Child's first camera (kids camera?)

Hi

I'm an amateur photographer with a Lumix G2 myself, but have a 4 year old child who seems to be interested in photography too. And I don't want any accidents with my Lumix!

I've seen quite a few kiddy type cameras (Kiddizoom etc) but am put off as these are only 2mp (or worse) and I'm told the results, esp in low light, are very blurred. A couple of people have suggested we buy a cheap "grown up" camera instead in the hope that it doesn't get dropped but with much better results.

Could anybody recommend a make/model for us? We don't want to spend more than about £40 for obvious reasons!

I'd also seen a Crayola 5mp camera for £29, but the reviews were dreadful.

I'm hoping to encourage littley to into photography, not put off forever with lousy results!

Hope somebody can help - thanks!

Janey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaneyJ View Post
    Hi

I'm an amateur photographer with a Lumix G2 myself, but have a 4 year old child who seems to be interested in photography too. And I don't want any accidents with my Lumix!

I've seen quite a few kiddy type cameras (Kiddizoom etc) but am put off as these are only 2mp (or worse) and I'm told the results, esp in low light, are very blurred. A couple of people have suggested we buy a cheap "grown up" camera instead in the hope that it doesn't get dropped but with much better results.

Could anybody recommend a make/model for us? We don't want to spend more than about £40 for obvious reasons!

I'd also seen a Crayola 5mp camera for £29, but the reviews were dreadful.

I'm hoping to encourage littley to into photography, not put off forever with lousy results!

Hope somebody can help - thanks!

Janey
    My daughter started off with a decent mid range compact and moved up from there, I wouldn’t by the really cheap stuff did that first and after 1 week brought a Sony 7mp for her, she is now about to inherit my old A200 DSLR and tamron 18-200mm lens.

Images

PS check eBay for a second-hand model and you should save some money too.

Images

Hi and welcome. This is a difficult one there are some cheap p&s out there and there are some childrens ones too i think you have to weight up is this a passing phase, will it get dropped or is this the start of a great hobby. Given that your child is 4 i would look at something robust, you can get a waterproof camera on Amazon from £44 and go up to over £300 for one. Good luck

Thanks all,

I think I'm going to go for a P&S "grown up" camera, and thanks, really good ideas there, I've looked on Ebay but was spoilt for choice, I had no way of knowing whether a camera was 8 years or 8 months out of production. Is there any easy way of telling?

One of the main things I'd like is for a camera to perform pretty well in low light. Is there a particular range or model I could zone in on? I started on digital with a Fuji finepix S5000 which was great for a number of years, I then bought a Samsung earlier this year which was very disappointing in low light, which is why I took it back to the shop and got the Lumix!

Thanks again, replies very much appreciated!

Jane