Default Canon EOS 500D or 550D?

I'm looking at upgrading my digital compact camera and moving into the world of DSLR for the first time so most of this is new to me.

I started researching makes and models with a figure of 500 in mind as a budget but came across the two offers below from Jessops and don't mind finding the extra 50. What I'm left wondering though is whether I'm likely to be better off going for the 500d with the additional lens to play with from the outset or the 550d, getting used to how the DSLRs work and what they are capable of with the kit lens then investing in an additional lens later down the line once I have a better idea of what the different lenses can even do?

As a newbie to all this, what would anyone suggest? The newer model camera with just one lens or older model with an extra lens?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...0640/show.html

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...7142/show.html

Or, am I does anyone know of a better bargain elsewhere and might I not want to go with either of these?

Any comments are welcome because as much as I like using my current camera I think I've outgrown it and want to upgrade but haven't really got the slightest idea about what I'm potentially buying!!

Images

Hi and welcome it has to be the 550d its a great camera. The 75-300 lens is not a good lens IMHO plus it looks like the 500d is being offered with a none IS 18-55.
    You will be better off with the 550d and the 18-55IS lens, if you later want a longer zoom then the 55-250IS is really the perfect partner

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wave View Post
    Hi and welcome it has to be the 550d its a great camera. The 75-300 lens is not a good lens IMHO plus it looks like the 500d is being offered with a none IS 18-55.
    You will be better off with the 550d and the 18-55IS lens, if you later want a longer zoom then the 55-250IS is really the perfect partner

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/
    i found this to be a good site with good prices !!!!

i'm in the same situation as the man before, i can't choose between the 550d 600d is the 600 worth the extra few quid ? this will be my first DSLR camera and i want to make the right choice first time. cheers for all comments on my quest for the perfect camera :-)

hi mpsamuels

first off your going with a good place like jessops
    i own a 500D and i was like your self back in 2009 i brought the camera with twin lens
    but i got the kit lens 18 - 55mm i s version and a Tamron 70 - 300mm now since the 500D came out there as been 4 new models 550D 7D 600D 1100D now as wave as said the 550D would be your better choice as the 500D is slowly being removed from web site all over the net just like they did with the 450D when the 500D came out

as for what Tomtastic put stay away from simplyelectronics.net/
    there reports of selling stuff is not good
    with jessops you now you can return it to a local shop if any things goes wrong not like some of the reports on the net ive read about simplyelectronics there prices many be a bit cheaper but places like that dont give me peace of mind if you now what i mean

so if you your up grading to a DSLR then buying the 550D would be a great Choice any have to look at the photos that wave as taken with is 550D to see how a good job it does and how nice the photos turn out

hope this helps all the best

Russ
    Last edited by Blitz Photography & Prod; 25-11-11 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks for the advice all.

I thought I should report back now I've actually made the dive in (I managed to scrape some extra coins together and find a great deal on the 600d in the end so went for that above the 550d) I've only had the thing two weeks and have been amazed by the picture quality already even though I'm aware I don't really know what I'm doing.

Those of you who may want to see what I've been up to with it can see my Flickr stream here (sorry for the shameless plug):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinpsamuels/

constructive feedback is always appreciated as I'd love to be able to get the best out of what is clearly a fantastic piece of kit one day.

Images

congrats you wont be dissapointed with the 600d